Talk

Advanced search

Berlin tips please

(9 Posts)
TheHumancatapult Wed 05-Feb-14 03:21:56

me and DS 2(17) are of to Berlin in August for 10 days(early 18th present) any tips please and or museums that slightly of beaten track/places to eat
Ds2 is taking A level history and RS and we both love museuns.Neither of us are shoppers or foodies only thing need take into account is Im a wheelchair user

LCHammer Wed 05-Feb-14 16:27:54

I love Berlin. You'll have plenty to do in 10 days, day trips out as well. Probably less accessible for wheelchair than you'd expect (from what I remember using buggy, apologies for comparison) but definitely fine. We went both in winter and spring, one of our favourite places.

cathyandclaire Wed 05-Feb-14 16:39:20

Book a tour of the Reichstag, but do it early, they fill up very quickly. It's free and absolutely fascinating especially for a historian. We also loved exploring the Berlin Wall memorial and the Topogrophy of Terrors was harrowing but unmissable. On a windy day it's fun to go to the old Berlin Airport to fly kites, it is a genuinely vast and iconic building.
Have a wonderful time smile

Janek Wed 05-Feb-14 16:55:14

It will be very, very hot, or it was last july anyway. We went swimming in various lakes outside of town, all accessible by public transport, but i wasn't looking for if it was wheelchair accessible - i think the u-bahn was flat to get onto from the platform, i presume there were lifts down to the platform, but i didn't notice them.

I'll be back to tell, you where we swam when i remember!

Janek Wed 05-Feb-14 16:58:56

Just checked - we had an ipad app for the public transport, and it is clearly marked on there which stations have lifts and which don't. That's for s-bahn and the u-bahn.

ThoughtFox Wed 05-Feb-14 17:03:40

I don't know how wheelchair friendly it is, but there is a wonderful DDR Museum that DH loved.

The food is generally excellent in my opinion - we just went to places that looked nice - but we also went to a wonderful Russian restaurant which was recommended by our guidebook.

TheHumancatapult Wed 05-Feb-14 18:11:11

Thank you

cathyandclaire tried but said not available in August.wonder if am to early.yup there on list as well as concentration camp just outside town

thoughtfox that's right up ds street to

TheHumancatapult Wed 05-Feb-14 18:11:58

janek

can you remember what app is called please as that be useful

Janek Wed 05-Feb-14 18:35:48

It's called Berlin Subway, and is by mxdata, who also do a tube map and a paris metro one.

It is really useful as you can route plan on it, even if you're not online, and the updates i got last summer seemed to update availability of different lines which then affected which route we were sent on iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now