Talk

Advanced search

Advice re Paris please, lovely people

(8 Posts)
Applesnotcakes Tue 04-Feb-14 14:04:20

We are thinking of a one or two night introductory trip to Paris with our 16 year old DD for her birthday. We'd go earlyish in April.
I've been a fair few times for work but don't have a sense of a good location as a tourist and would love some hotel ideas. We'd prefer separate bedrooms so it could be some kind of appartment maybe but budget is limited to around £200 - £250 a night for all of us.
What I'm looking for is the full on Paris experience with as many of the iconic images/experiences as possible. Maybe staying in the Marais??
We will want to walk a lot and visit lovely cafes and restaurants and briefly touch some culture. And a bit of parleying will be good for DD's GCSE.

All help would be very welcome!

sparrowcottage Wed 05-Feb-14 09:46:24

try airbnb, some amazing places to stay and half the price of hotel, some a lot more of course, and you dont get ripped of at breakfast time. we have used them in other cities and have my wish list ready for paris.

IsabellaRockerfeller Wed 05-Feb-14 09:53:06

I'd go for an appartment in the Marais. Much better value and more space than a hotel.

This one is in a fab location - I used to live in the building myself!!

www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/214046?guests=3&s=axOk

Applesnotcakes Wed 05-Feb-14 16:57:58

thanks a lot both, airnb is a great idea - I've read about it but never used it and it slipped my mind

sparrowcottage Wed 05-Feb-14 21:45:55

you photograph your passport and upload the photo to their site as a way of making sure you are who you say you are etc, so do that now so that if someone approves your visit there isnt any faff.. then you just start selecting places, you dont always get an answer from the owner and so your request just fizzles out so have a few up your sleeve and ask them all remembering things to ask like what floor, is there a lift, can we have more than one key, in case dad goes home early and falls asleep and then no one else can get in etc.. and then once someone accepts your booking you pay immediately on visa and they get their money once you arrive.. it works well, some have flexible cancellation, some dont.

sparrowcottage Wed 05-Feb-14 21:47:46

and if something like nespresso machine is important or pool for example you can search for that. genius.

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Wed 05-Feb-14 22:11:03

Dh and I stayed in Montmartre in a place called Hotel des Arts (I think!). It was great - nice "cultural" location, not too pricey but perfectly nice.

Applesnotcakes Thu 06-Feb-14 13:30:35

useful advice sparrow thanks, and Hotel des Arts looks the right kind of thing too - thanks pasbeaucoup.

DD now saying she wants to revise a lot over Easter for her GCSEs so I dont want to plan a surprise trip that she doesnt feel excited about - so may leave it until the summer, and deal with the heat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now