Talk

Advanced search

Disneyland Paris - Help!

(11 Posts)
DifferentNow Sat 01-Feb-14 16:58:40

We would like to take our DC to Disneyland this year. We've been before but not for about 7 years. I have absolutely no idea where to begin so I'm hoping that some of you are seasoned experts and can give me some pointers please.

The main issue seems to be the size of our family. We have 5 DC who are currently ages 12, 9, 7, 4 and 7m.

We have already established that the cost of hiring a car there would be too prohibitive so if not staying in the park, we would need to stay somewhere with a shuttle or something to get us there.

We have no set dates in mind and would consider term time etc bad parents - when is cheapest to go?

Where's best to buy park tickets?

TIA lovely MNetters thanks

CaisleanDraiochta Sat 01-Feb-14 19:17:12

Off the top of my head the Adagio at Magne Le Hongre does self contained apartments for up to 8 people (3 bedrooms plus sofa bed) although you may be able to get away with a 2 bed if your littlest one will still be in a cot by then. It has a bus service that takes you direct to the parks as well I think.

They also include a kitchen if you think self-catering (or at the least option to) would be something you would like. if not I believe ther is a restaurant in the complex, that definitely does breakfast (for an extra charge) each morning and probably dinner too. I find it seriously cuts the cost as eating at Disney is expensive!

As for dates, like you said during term time is cheaper (check French school terms too) and usually less busy in the parks too, except on weekends.

For tickets there a few French websites (use google translate) that do good deals like www.fnactickets.com or www.ce-multivantages.com . If you are planning on going for 3 days or more (or plan to return within a year) it is often actually cheaper to get an annual pass. Under 3's are free so your baby won't need a park ticket.

Hope you have a lovely time- its my DC's (and mine blush) favourite place in the world and we have been far too many times!

DifferentNow Sat 01-Feb-14 19:32:09

Thank you CaisleanDraiochta

Have you stayed at the Adagio at Magne Le Hongre before? How far from Disney is it? Do you think that the French websites are cheaper for buying park tickets then?

CaisleanDraiochta Sat 01-Feb-14 20:14:55

No I haven't stayed there but I have stayed at the Adagio in Val D'Europe (also close to Disney) but I don't think they have bigger than 2 bed apartments at that one. It's on our 'to do' list for a future trip (we like to stay at a different place each time) as I think they have washing machines and also the parking looks better than in Val D'Europe (it's in the middle of a town, next to the shopping mall) as I usually catch the ferry and drive down myself.

Buying tickets in advance is always cheaper than at the park gates, plus you get to avoid the queues. the French websites tend to do better deals than direct from Disney- this has something to do with the French tax system which I don't quite understand. There are some offers currently that include a free child ticket (under 11) with every adult ticket purchased. Annual passes from 3rd party sites are also much cheaper- I saved €200 on buying 2 APs last year!

OwlMother Sun 02-Feb-14 07:50:48

www.explorershotels.com/en/

Explorers hotel have room set ups that work for up to ten people. It's not crazily expensive and has a shuttle bus to the parks. Breakfast was good - buffet style, very busy but the kids loved it. Pool is open until quite late so good once you're home. There is also a small soft play. Dinner options are ok, but we tended to eat in Disney village before returning on the shuttle.
It isn't fancy, but it was clean and was an inexpensive way of taking our three dc to Disney- they thoroughly loved it!!

RaspberryLemonPavlova Mon 03-Feb-14 21:53:35

Do check out annual passes. There are five of us and it was cheaper than buying three day passes. At the park gates you get 20% discount for five or more and was very easy.

We got the middle price ticket which meant we got in for the magic hours before park opening, and discount on food/purchases. Also free parking which won't apply to you but is 15 euro a time!

kerala Mon 03-Feb-14 21:56:00

I wouldn't bother. We went in October underwhelming rip off.

DifferentNow Mon 03-Feb-14 23:12:09

Thank you everyone. Lots of helpful info here.

kerala did you stay in a Disney hotel? Did your family enjoy it?

Also, does anyone have a recommendations for eating out in the parks?

DifferentNow Mon 03-Feb-14 23:12:27

*any

CaisleanDraiochta Tue 04-Feb-14 09:47:29

Personally I think the best place to eat in the park is the Inventions buffet at the Disneyland hotel. It is mega expensive though as are all the Disney restaurants but this one is serious bigbucks. Think €65pp and a little cheaper for children. It does have characters visiting your table though for that price, but still its more of a special treat rather than an everyday option IMO.

The fast food places are a bit meh. I don't think the French really get fast food so its not great quality and also still fairly expensive. For not much more you can eat in one of the standard all you can eat buffets like Plaza Gardens or Restaurant des Stars. These are usually our choice for a meal out as everyone can get something different and if they don't like it, go back for something else.

Disney village also has other restaurants including some non-Disney ones like Rainforest Café, Planet Hollywood and of course McDonalds. Often a good choice as they are familiar chains so you know what kind of thing you are getting.

Also many people don't realise, but even if you are not a guest at a Disney hotel, you are still able to eat in any of their restaurants. Just book a table through the central reservation line. The dlrpmagic website gives you examples of all the menus too, although the prices are slightly out of date now.

kerala Tue 04-Feb-14 18:22:57

So unimpressed. Kids (6 and 4) enjoyed it but no more than any other day out we have had at places closer to home at a fraction of the price. It's emperors new clothes honestly. Take sandwiches. My best tip however would be not to bother!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now