Talk

Advanced search

Stopover between Caen and Penmarch (yelloh La Plage)

(7 Posts)
neverlookback Sat 29-Jun-13 08:42:35

Hi
First time Francers here! We are going to Yelloh La Plage for 9 nights in aug but we are sailing to Caen first and having a day looking at the D Day beaches and dp giving me and 3 dc's a history lesson!
Then we need to drive half way ish to destination and stop over. The nearest city half way looks like Rennes?
Would you just book an ibis or similar or try to find something more country ish??? Any advice welcomegrin

Yonihadtoask Sat 29-Jun-13 20:29:49

What you could do is sail into Caen - and drive a little further on to Bayeux and stay the night there. (about 30 mins drive).

We are spending a couple of days there before heading off down to the Loire Valley. It looks v pretty, and is well placed for museums and landing beaches.

then drive on to your site the next morning- about 4 and a half hours?

Rennes looks nice enough also - I don't know much about it though.

neverlookback Sat 29-Jun-13 20:49:33

Hi thanks for that I'll have a look, although wanted to do a couple of hours of the journey to break it up as we will of drive 4 or 5 hours from Lancashire the day before which I am absolutely dreading with 3 kids!!!wink

Yonihadtoask Sat 29-Jun-13 20:57:58

Oh yes, the drive down to the South is tough. We are in West Yorkshire - so I feel your pain.

What time is your ferry crossing? Day time or an overnight?

In past years we have set off from home really, really early - to take a 7am or so tunnel crossing. Then driven maybe 3 or 4 hours before our first stopover. It's really tough.

which is why I suggested that you make Bayeux, or I guess Caen, your overnight stop. you can have a look around, and then rest up before driving the rest of your journey on to your campsite in Penmarch.

neverlookback Sat 29-Jun-13 21:49:28

Hi we're on the 10.45pm night ferry Portsmouth to Caen, so were gonna take our time getting down there in the day, no doubt the kids will of had a nap but God know how I'll keep dd2 awake to get on boat, she turns 2 while we r away.
So we get to Caen at 7.30 am to do the d day stuff then was gonna do a bit of the journey accross to Brittany.

I won't lie I'm absolutely dreading the travelling!!! Ds is not the best traveller and is showing signs of the beginnings of car sickness too!
I'll be stocking up on the local vino that's for sure! grin

Yonihadtoask Sun 30-Jun-13 11:07:22

Ah, you'll be fine.

I find French motorways far easier than UK. They are often fairly empty - as you pay tolls. It is worth paying imo. smile

Car sickness- get them some Joyrides or similar. Even if they don't work, I find that the placebo effect does.

Our DC are teens now, so it is easy. But as long as you keep them fed, watered and a little entertained all will be well.

Wherever you decide to spend the night - pre book. I presume you are travelling in the school hols? It does get busy.

We have usually chosen a mix of independent hotels, and big chains. The ibis Budget (used to be called Etap) are quite good value. And usually have secure car parking - which I like if you are travelling with a car loaded up with your possessions. you don't have to take it all in with you - just pack overnight bag separately.

In prev years we have travelled further south so have sometimes taken two overnight stops - as any more than 5 or 6 hours driving in one day is so wearing. Even when we share the driving.

Have you checked out your route ? via Michelin It is good to input your start and stop points, and print it out. It lists any tolls also - so you can have the money ready.

neverlookback Sun 30-Jun-13 13:08:35

Thankyou that's really helpful advice ! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now