Talk

Advanced search

La vendée: what to do

(5 Posts)
literarygeek Thu 23-May-13 20:12:10

Thanks to some great advice on here we're heading to a gite complex between La Rochelle and Cognac in a few weeks. It's our first time in this area and we're going with our two dds aged 10m and 3y.
The weather looks like it might be a bit more meh than we were hoping for, so cold/wet weather options are gratefully received,
Thanks in advance

frenchfancy Thu 23-May-13 21:21:45

Hi LG if you are between La Rochelle and Cognac then you are in the Charente Maritime rather than the Vendée.

The Aquarium at La Rochelle is great for little ones. The Puy de Fou is brilliant, but it is in the Vendée and may be a bit far for you depending on where you are.

I am reliably informed by the local farmers that the weather is going to change next week and we are going to have a flaming June, you are not going for a couple of weeks yet then I think you will be in luck.

literarygeek Thu 23-May-13 21:41:49

Hi FF - thanks for the correction blush and the advice. I do need a bit of sunshine to cheer me up right now so I will keep everything crossed!

badbelinda Fri 24-May-13 20:40:40

If the weather improves, Ile de Re is lovely, lots of bikes to hire (with kid's trailers) and beaches, an easy day trip if you're near La Rochelle. The Venise Verte near Niort (Niort itself not v. exciting) is lovely, lots of little waterways and you can hire a punt-like boat for an hour -> a day (we were exhausted after an hour). We also had a great day trip to Saintes - big Roman amphitheatre and other Roman remains. Our kids were older though (6 & 7) and had been studying Romans at school so may not be so good for younger children.

literarygeek Sat 25-May-13 09:34:46

Thanks, badbelinda; duly noted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now