Talk

Advanced search

Please help a novice flyer with check in times

(10 Posts)
youbethemummylion Sat 04-May-13 07:27:13

Hi This is our first time abroad with kids aged 6 and 3. When I have travelled in the past I've been the one at the airport far too early just to make sure I'm not late iyswim.

However our flight is 6am and we are staying at an airport hotel the night before. I am keen to leave check in as late as possible so I can leave waking the kids up as late as possible. We have already selected our seats so don't need to worry about being 1st in the check in que.

So my question is this when it says check in 2 hours before does that mean no later than 2 hours before or is that when check in opens? How late can I leave check in without risking missing the flight?

Please help a trying very hard not to be anxious about this whole thing mum.

Numberlock Sat 04-May-13 07:30:43

I'm a frequent flyer and if this was me I would get to the airport at 5am having already checked in on line and printed my boarding pass. I only take hand luggage so can go straight to security, never need to go to check in desk.

Which airport is it?

youbethemummylion Sat 04-May-13 07:34:47

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply. It is Newcastle airport and we are flying with Thompsons. We haven't had our e-tickets yet (and we are flying in 2 weeks, so that's something else I'm stressing about) so not sure if we can check in online but that does sound like a good solution if I can.

OrbisNonSufficit Sat 04-May-13 07:41:33

I don't think Thompsons offer online check in yet. But not all of you have to be at the airport for check in. One of you can go at 4am and check in then come back to get everyone else. I wouldn't leave it too late, check in does close some time before the flight (can be up to an hour before but depends on the airline).

Numberlock Sat 04-May-13 07:46:00

Call them to ask. Unfortunately the advice above is incorrect, all travellers need to be present with passport at check in.

Numberlock Sat 04-May-13 07:51:51

www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/faqs/flights/checking-in.html#onlinecheckin

Just had a look at Thompson website and from summer this year they are introducing online check on for certain flights so call them to ask.

youbethemummylion Sat 04-May-13 07:53:41

Thanks for all the tips I think I will give them a call to find out the best option, I can tell I'm going to be there at 3:30am before check in even opens, I'm just too much of a worrier(sp?)

Numberlock Sat 04-May-13 07:55:10

Apologies, you're right, only one passenger needs to go providing you're all travelling on the same booking.

youbethemummylion Sat 04-May-13 07:55:11

Cross posts, That would be great if they introduce it in time as I'm going in May. Thanks for the help.

Numberlock Sat 04-May-13 08:45:41

Have a great holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now