Talk

Advanced search

I need some sunshine! Heavily pregnant + almost expired passport

(7 Posts)
FoxSun Tue 30-Apr-13 14:18:37

Okay wise people, I'm stumped.
I am in desperate need of a holiday. My mother and ex husband have agreed that they can look after the children between them, which means my partner and I can potentially have a holiday.

First things first, my passport expires "June 2013". As far as I can determine that means I'm still okay to travel throughout June in most EU countries. Any thoughts? I have the renewal form here, filled out, I could get a picture taken quite quickly BUT I was reluctant to do so as it may then take an age to be returned, and everywhere I look says do not book a holiday unless you're passport is here. Can I travel? Should I get on to renewing?

The other extra factor to consider is I will be anywhere between 31 and 35 weeks pregnant when we travel. This is my fourth pregnancy, so far everything is going fine and I am having what can be described as a "normal pregnancy". Tho' I do have frightfully sore hips (I suffered crippling SPD in pregnancy 2, so suspect it could make its return) Is it madness to consider a holiday? Partner and I haven't holidayed together before, we've had a full on 18 months, it would be lovely to get away before I give birth. I travelled to Cornwall (from Norfolk) at 33 - 35 weeks pregnant, and it was doable, but that was Cornwall. I like the sun, I like to swim, we are happy to be lazy and chill. Where should we look to go? Somewhere with decent health care, somewhere not too far a flight away, somewhere warm..

Am I asking for the moon on a stick? I'm tired, and it's cold, and I have the school run to face with sore hips and a sleeping toddler. Can't someone just sort it all out for me? Haha, whine whine whine smile

specialsubject Tue 30-Apr-13 22:01:09

within the EU you are fine to travel as long as you are back before the passport runs out. That can be the day before, although one travel delay and you would be stuck.

But you do need travel insurance once you leave the UK, and that may be fun to get. Also you may find you can't fly that late either.

3MonthMaid Tue 30-Apr-13 22:10:36

I tried to fly to Germany when I was 34 weeks. I'm pretty sure they wanted a doctors letter.

Skygirls Tue 30-Apr-13 22:16:37

Most airlines have restrictions. You will need a Doctor's letter if you intend to fly after 28 weeks, and the cutoff for flying is about 36weeks.
Most insurers will not cover you past 28weeks.

I got my renewed passport back in 8 days. It normally takes about two weeks or you can pay to do the express service and get it back in a couple of days.

If you do decide to go to Europe (Eurostar if flying not an option) remember to apply for the EHIC so you can get medical treatment abroad, and bring all your notes with you, should anything happen.

If you google "pregnancy and flying cutoff" you'll get lots of info regarding travelling when preggers.

specialsubject Wed 01-May-13 10:43:14

the EHIC can take about two weeks to arrive - nb it is free. It is not a substitute for travel insurance.

LIZS Wed 01-May-13 10:47:10

You don't need the actual EHIC card though , just the reference number and number to call from overseas if needs be. You would also need travel insurance as EHIC won't cover expenses such as on-going accommodation, non-emergency or beyond basic medical care, repatriation, emergency passport for baby etc.

FoxSun Wed 01-May-13 13:39:41

Thank you!!
I'm beginning to think it might not be worth the hassle, but then it's sunny today, ha!

Will need to think it over some more, it seems my partner has some training at the end of June, meaning pushing it back even further, which seems like it could cause problems with flying! I shall investigate travel insurance, I've never bothered before shock but you're all right, it would be a must!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now