Talk

Advanced search

Santorini

(9 Posts)
IsaacCox Sat 27-Apr-13 18:06:46

Still trying to find somewhere to go this summer. Can anyone tell me what Santorini is like please? Where's best to stay? Are there plenty of restaurants, shops and things to do? We want to spend the days by the pool/on the beach with a bit of sightseeing and nights in nice restaurants, few shops to wander in, nice strolls etc.

Any advice appreciated please. Thank you flowers

givemeaclue Sat 27-Apr-13 21:06:12

Beautiful island, I think the beaches are black sand?

steben Sat 27-Apr-13 21:16:30

Stunning - we stayed in a cave hotel - was simply wonderful. V expensive though and does get touristy during day with day trippers but so lovely. Not sure it's kid friendly though - stay in the main area - Oia - not the outer edges.

IsaacCox Sat 27-Apr-13 21:20:17

We have no kids so that's ok smile Don't really mind black sand. Any hotel recommendations please?

Justguessing Sat 27-Apr-13 21:57:24

I went a few years ago and stayed in Kamari as our budget wouldn't stretch to Oia or Imerovigli. The beach was black sand/shingle and the sea more choppy than we've experienced elsewhere in the Greek islands. Although Kamari does have plenty of bars and restaurants along its seafront, I wouldn't go back - it was missing the charm that I love about Greece. I would however spend a week in Oia if I could afford it. It's full of narrow streets and white washed buildings and has the most amazing sunsets. That does mean that it gets ridiculously busy at sunset though!

Oia is absolutely beautiful, and if we ever go back I'd stay there (after taking out a second mortgage!). The black sand gets hotter than you could ever imagine: you can't walk on it barefoot at all. We stayed in Perissa, which had a good choice of tavernas but I don't think I'd want to go back to. It was too busy for us, although the crowds were mainly Greek, German and Italian so no English breakfasts and football shirts etc! Personally I'd like to go back to Santorini but in lower season and only to Oia. Fira is crowded and dirty.

PassTheCremeEggs Sun 28-Apr-13 16:35:36

We stayed at the Tholos resort in Imerovigli - amazing, just loved it. Views are stunning, service excellent. Quite pricey but worth it. Not a "resort" - just a lovely hotel.

Troubleintmill Fri 03-May-13 08:41:01

We stayed at the majestic, a lovely spa hotel on the edge of Fira. . Very nice, certainly recommend.,think it was pretty pricey but worth it and lovely service, great food etc. Oia was beautiful but not sure I'd stay in the centre as gets very busy. The whole island was lovely and not too crowded. I'd love to go back...maybe when DS is 18!!

Lighthousekeeping Fri 03-May-13 08:48:22

We stayed here. www.hotelketi.gr/ loved it. Make sure you go to the Opera bar. We did four nights on the beach and three in Fira. It wasn't as expensive as we thought. There's loads of self catering apartments by the beach.its a stunning island and I long to go back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now