Talk

Advanced search

Flying Alone?

(11 Posts)
skratta Tue 09-Apr-13 22:17:30

DDs (13 since Feb) might fly out to my cousins (they're second cousins?) who live 3hrs away by plane.

They are both responsible and organised and I have no concerns retarding the trip out and their time with the children of my cousin/s.

One of them hates the taking off/landing part? But would love to go and do it ultimately (her words). Any tips? Is desperate to go and I have asked if would prefer nt to, but they both really, really want I and I know both would really enjoy the holiday....but the one who is afraid of the take off/landing (can't talk or look a anyone during those parts etc;) well...

Help?

skratta Tue 09-Apr-13 22:18:05

THEIR not they're!

GemmaTeller Tue 09-Apr-13 22:27:41

I hate flying - every aspect of it, especially take of (to me its the point of no return)

The last time I flew it was a four hour flight and I was on my own, on both the outward and return flight the women sat next to me held my hand and talked to me to distract me (I was crying).

My doctor also prescribed me a really low dose of diazepam, three tablets for each flight.

I think if your DD mentions it to the stewardess they may well sit with her during take off and landing, I have known them do this with someone.

skratta Tue 09-Apr-13 23:33:38

Thank you.

Normally they have Calpol (tablet form, to their age in amount) beforehand but that's because they both still hurt a bit on take off (this isn't what she is scared of btw...it's the bit where it kind of turns slightly and when there's the feeling of not being on the ground anymore at that precise moment...until about twenty minutes into the flight) and she will have that, but if there was anything stronger but suitable for children?

I know you can't have things like IPads on during the flight. I'm giving her earphones (so she can listen to music on the IPad and also for the take off/landing bit she copes better if she can just concentrate and kinda count or whatever, and hates people talking to her during the take off/landing).

Just feel sad that she wants to go on a holiday like that and have fun but that she's terrified of the actual getting there sad

loulouppy Wed 10-Apr-13 07:19:29

arnica or similar, there must be a homeopathic remedy for this, even if it doesnt work the DD might believe it does and thats all that matters.

NickNacks Wed 10-Apr-13 07:24:00

You can have iPads on.

MrsHiddleston Wed 10-Apr-13 07:32:31

I flew alone all the time to get to boarding school. I found that flying alone helped with my fear because I felt mature and responsible. When I flew with my parents I was much more scared.

MrsHiddleston Wed 10-Apr-13 07:33:44

They make you switch iPads etc... off for take off.

CestTout Wed 10-Apr-13 07:36:46

I used to be very similar to your DD. I now fly every 4/6 weeks mostly on my own. As a previous poster I too find flying alone much easier- no one to talk about your fears too! Once I'm chatting about them I'm done.

Electronic items have to be off for take off and landing but can you get her to take a decent book. Even if she doesn't actually take on what she's reading and has to re-read it is a distraction an somewhere else to focus the mind.

Best of luck

deXavia Wed 10-Apr-13 07:38:14

Flew alone all the time as a child and hated it. Ironically a huge part of my current job is traveling to oversea sites. The bit I hate is when you get all hot and clammy about 1 minute after take off. So my tricks are layers, feel hot start stripping down wink being cold really helps me. Deep breathing - teach her some meditation techniques or just count backwards and breathe. There are some roll on aromatherapy oils you can get - sure this is in my mind but I find they help. And then reading - I find magazines more distracting and mindless than books. And she shouldn't wear ear plugs during take off but can play games on silent on iPad.

Good luck to her and she'll be so proud when she has done it!

deXavia Wed 10-Apr-13 07:41:16

Re electrical items - switch it to airplane mode and you 'may' be ok. Some airlines let you, some don't. So probably magazine/book is a better option just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now