Talk

Advanced search

Co. Kerry

(8 Posts)
LittleMissSnowShine Tue 08-Jan-13 10:41:07

Irish mumsnetters (or those who like holidaying in Ireland..)

We live in Belfast and usually head over to Mayo up to Donegal for a break or away to the sun but we're a bit short on cash this year and trying to build up some savings, plus I'm pg with no. 2 so we're planning to take DS down south for a week or so in May.

Never been down to Kerry before - always been put off by the drive and how touristy Killarney seems to be, but with a 2 year old in tow who would probably enjoy seeing stuff like dolphins (!) we thought it might be a good county to check out...

So...any recommendations in Kerry, any area really, self-catering, holiday village type effort, even a low budget hotel? All much appreciated, as well as things to see / do?

Thank you!

Badvoc Tue 08-Jan-13 17:56:04

Check out shore cottage in ballyheigue...stayed there 3 times in all a few years ago and it's a lovely house..sleeps 6 and very modern and clean.
Very close to the beach and near to others.
Dingle, Killarney and Tralee are an easy drive away
(We booked through hoses sons but you can do it privately too)
Hth x

AgentProvocateur Tue 08-Jan-13 18:00:29

Littlemisssnowshine, I posted in this topic earlier about potentially visiting Belfast on weekend of 18&19 jan, but being unsure about the city centre at the moment. What do you think?

LittleMissSnowShine Tue 08-Jan-13 20:37:46

Agent - Most of Belfast is absolutely fine, the trouble they are showing on the news is pretty localised, mostly in the east and some of the north of the city. I have seen the pics they are showing on the news tho so I can completely understand why you'rr concerned - PM me and tell me where you're supposed to be staying and what you had planned on doing and I should be able to give you a heads up!

Badvoc thanks i will def check Shore Cottage out!

AgentProvocateur Tue 08-Jan-13 21:10:16

Thank you. Someone did answer my other thread, and said the same as you. We were planning to go to the Hilton or the Fitzwilliam (is that what it's called?) because we were getting a room rate of £60 a night, which I thought was brilliant.

However, looks like me might have to postpone now, because DH came home tonight and told me he has to go to Dubai for a work meeting on the Sunday. We will definitely come in the spring though. Out of interest, have you been to the titanic museum? It's being heavily advertised here, and it looks great.

LittleMissSnowShine Tue 08-Jan-13 21:38:25

I have been, yeah, and it's fab - there's a cool wee cafe across the road right under the big cranes which is nice for lunch. Fitzwilliam is lovely, all this crap will have blown over in a month or so, weather might be nicer too smile

FreeButtonBee Tue 08-Jan-13 21:44:12

I adore Kerry - try the Waterville area - lots of cottages and some up in the mountains. My favourite beach of all time is down by derrynane, you can go to Daniel o'connell's house plus there is a little waterspouts centre on a natural lagoon. Dingle peninsula also nice but a bit bleaker I think.

Fabulous seafood all over that bit.

I really want to go back soon.

LittleMissSnowShine Wed 09-Jan-13 13:52:30

Ooh Waterville <adds that one to list> if all works out then i'll be 6 months pg tho so prob no seafood and Guinness this time (oh ok just a half pint!) really looking forward to this now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now