Talk

Advanced search

How can I get DS excited about going to Disneyland Paris?

(9 Posts)
DowagersHump Thu 11-Oct-12 20:20:18

Urgh - I'm really embarrassed about this. He is a spoiled git clearly angry

Basically, DS who is nearly 6, has been on at me about going since we had friends who came to stay en route (we live v nearly the Eurotunnel). So I got a good deal on a couple of days at the start of half term and I booked and we're going.

I was so excited and when I told him he was a bit 'oh'. He just asked if we are going to Legoland again soon. And now I'm really not looking forward to it and have a vision of him being moany and vile the whole time when I've spent a small fortune giving him a fabulous holiday and us both having a horrible time sad

Please help me avoid ramming the tickets down his throat get him excited.

Alternatively, does anyone know if you can resell your tickets? sad

mamij Thu 11-Oct-12 20:23:12

Lucky DS! I'm sure he'll have loads of fun once you're there!

Maybe go on the website and show him some of the rides, let him help pack his favourite things, give him some pocket money (euros) to get a gift at the end, a cheap digital camera (if budget allows) for him to snap the day...?

DowagersHump Thu 11-Oct-12 20:29:30

Those are really good ideas, thanks smile I so hope he's excited. I think I would be tempted to lock him in the hotel room if he's horrible. He just asked if there was a shop he could buy Cars toys in sad

I think I've bred another Verruca Salt

hermioneweasley Thu 11-Oct-12 20:30:55

Lots of videos on YouTube you can watch. Is he too old for a letter from Mickey mouse?

solidgoldbrass Thu 11-Oct-12 20:31:36

Well there is a shop he can buy Cars toys in. There's also a Cars-themed ride and a display of stunt-car driving (though that may not be on this late in the year).

smalltown Thu 11-Oct-12 20:33:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sommewhereelse Thu 11-Oct-12 20:36:43

Is he usually this blasé about stuff?

Or is he perhaps like my DS (a few years older) who is actually really thoughtful but so often thinking deeply about other stuff so he just doesn't register the meaning of what he's heard. It's just the sort of reaction he would have if he was playing with or thinking about Lego when I mentioned Disney.

DowagersHump Thu 11-Oct-12 20:42:20

I have shown him photos of the Cars-themed ride and he did seem quite excited about that. He's all about the sodding Mario at the moment though and the fact that there is a) no Mario and b) no bastard Ninjago means that he is just a bit meh about it.

I want to whip him up into a frenzy of excitement. Youtube is a good idea. As is a letter from Mickey Mouse. And watching Disney films is something we really need to do.

He's not really too old - he's going through a hugely irritating phase of trying to be ultra-sophisticated and grown up. He's five FFS! He was terrified at the last Disney film I took him to see (Brave) so part of it is probably bravado and part of it worrying that he's going to be scared of stuff and will look childish or something. The mind of a 5 year old is a very complicated thing

Thank you all for being kind. I'm horribly ashamed he's being such an ungrateful little wretch

sommewhereelse Fri 12-Oct-12 04:36:09

Sounds like he wants to do what his friends did because his friends were excited but he doesn't really know what it's all about so doesn't know what to look forward to.
A 5 year old wouldn't realise, unless you did a big lecture on it, how far away, expensive etc Disney is and how much of effort it is to take them. (And doing a big lecture about how much effort it is for the parents would take away some of the magic)
I'm sure he'll have a great time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now