Talk

Advanced search

Flat walk European City Break for half term

(14 Posts)
Mumelie Sun 23-Sep-12 10:30:36

We are planning a long weekend city break with me, DH and DD (10) in October half term. I have mobility issues and cannot walk up steep hills or do lots of steps sad. Can anyone recommend anywhere to go with flights of upto 2 hours from London? First thoughts are Copenhagen or Amsterdam. Also any ideas of what to do when we are there would be great too grin. Thanks.

sashh Mon 24-Sep-12 10:06:06

Amsterdam the street is flat but the stairs are steep. You will not be able to visit Anne Franks house. You will be bale to shop though and look at the van goughs.

NulliusInBlurba Mon 24-Sep-12 10:15:58

Berlin is really pretty flat and there is relatively good (but not perfect) wheelchair and disabled access for eg public transport. We were taking my mum around in a wheelchair last year and were quite impressed by the provisions. There ARE a few hills scattered throughout the city, but not in the centre and you don't need to go up them - it's not exactly Rome. Public transport is by and large cheap and frequent, and in the historic centre there are these bike rikshaw things for getting from one tourist spot to the next.

You would need to double-check that your hotel has a lift to all floors, and emphasise that you must be put on a floor with lift access - otherwise you'll possibly be stuck on the fourth floor with lots of steps. If you stay at a small b and b in one of the 'Altbau' 19th century buildings, I would assume there is no lift.

Flight is around 90 minutes. Airberlin is wonderful if they fly from your nearest airport, otherwise EasyJet are OK. If you fly into Schönefeld airport you would need to register as disabled with the airline, as otherwise you are expected to walk up/down lots of steps (it is a provisional airport until the new one opens, so there are lots of awkwardly built outbuildings) - but we booked wheelchair service for my mum last year and she was treated wonderfully.

Mumelie Mon 24-Sep-12 14:08:33

Thanks for all the info. It's always difficult knowing what to expect as I have good days and bad days and don't want to ruin the families holiday. Good idea about the hotel floors and airport.
I do quite fancy Berlin, pity it's not a bit closer to Christmas for the markets. I have been to Amsterdam before many years ago and do remember it being quite flat.

wentshopping Mon 24-Sep-12 14:19:20

Amsterdam - many of the streets are cobbles - don't know if that makes a difference for you.
Bruges - close, pretty flat, quite compact city
Brussels - some cobbled streets - when I worked in Brussels I went to Bruges for the day on the train. Flower market in main square, chocolate shops, art museums.
Nice - quite flat down by the sea, then town has some very steep hills, eg up at the Matisse museum - but, you can get around very easily on the bus system - 1 euro per ride and the bus stops outside this and other museums, so you would't actually have to walk up there. You can also get the bus to Villefranche, Monaco, etc for a change. Running through the main shopping part and down to the old town there is a tram which you can hop on and off.

Portofino Tue 25-Sep-12 09:32:13

Antwerp is nice with a good tram system - zoo, aquarium, nice shops, lots of restaurants, diamond museum etc. Seville is nice and flat with really picturesque old quarters, lots of lovely tapas. Even Barcelona should be doable - I love Barcelona - Good website aimed at wheelchair users but gives a good indication of how accessible the main tourist sites are. The Ramblas is a gentle hill rolling down towards the harbour. Public transport is excellent.

ZZZenAgain Tue 25-Sep-12 09:35:20

I really liked Sevilla, should be nice this time of the year. We were there in summer and it was far too hot but it is a friendly place.

popflos Tue 25-Sep-12 10:55:16

Valencia.. miles of flat green river bed filled with parks playgrounds tapas bars, smaller and less hectic than Barca

GoldPlatedNineDoors Tue 25-Sep-12 11:00:28

I liked Krakow. We did a tour round Auchwitz too which was very interesting and sad.

Rotterdam is great too.

Portofino Tue 25-Sep-12 11:45:48

Oh yes - Krakow is nice. We have also been to Wroclaw. Lovely big square, zoo, singing fountains, little dwarf statues all over the place which you can get a map and hunt for. You could do a city tour in a golf cart thing for not very much money.

dinkystinky Tue 25-Sep-12 11:47:35

I love Stockholm. Barcelona might be good.

Nevercan Tue 25-Sep-12 19:52:18

Florence is gorgeous to walk around and so much too see...

Mumelie Thu 27-Sep-12 16:00:11

Just come back to this after some hectic days at work! thanks for all the ideas, will spend the weekend researching and hopefully book something.

notcitrus Thu 27-Sep-12 17:08:36

Florence is only hilly on one side of the river, and has an excellent bus network. Barcelona was rather hilly/steppy and the Parc Guell is a git to get to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now