Talk

Advanced search

Long weekend self-catering with young children: Paris or Amsterdam?

(3 Posts)
MrsJohnDeere Sat 08-Oct-11 12:07:10

Trying to decide between Amsterdan or Paris for a long weekend away with the dcs, aged 3 and 5. We've found suitable accommodation but are trying to decide which is more practical.
Paris we know has lots of lovely food shops close to where we'd stay (have stayed before). Amsterdam is more exciting (because we don't know it so well) but we've no idea if food shops are plentiful in the city centre. Eating out isn't an option, but we'd like to be able to eat well when we stay in.

Lizcat Sun 09-Oct-11 13:43:46

Having done both with DD personally I would do France with your being the age they are. Amsterdam worked really well with DD at 7 years old at 3 and 5 I think I would have spent a lot of time in Nemo (great for 5 year old not so good for 3 year old) and the library (which is lovely, but I can do that at home). There are many many more parks in central Paris. The dutch were really lovely with DD, but it is much easier to find something she will eat in Paris and she is not fussy.

IslandMoose Tue 18-Oct-11 19:16:50

I'm about to go to Amsterdam this weekend with DS (5.6). I know both cities as a business traveller and Paris as a single tourist, and I went for Amsterdam for this outing on the basis that the vibe of the place is more child friendly imo.

if food is your priority then you want Paris. The easy instant food at reasonable prices you will get from boulangeries, patisseries and charcuteries will be fantastic.

Have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now