Talk

Advanced search

child friendly places to stay in Italy

(7 Posts)
stump Wed 05-Oct-11 14:51:16

Thinking of a trip to Italy next year (either easter or summer) anyone got any advice on where to stay with kids (we normally go self catering) the DCs will be 5 and 3. We are thinking probably the lakes/tuscany or Liguria.
Thanks

Portofino Thu 06-Oct-11 09:32:46

We stayed here once, in Liguria. Close to town centre, sandy beach, shops and restaurants. Apartments were clean and well equipped. The pool is enormous, with a seperate one for little ones. Easy to get out and about by bus/train to visit other towns along the coast. Loano is very nice.

And not s/c but we stayed here on Lake Como a couple of years ago. We had a lake view dependance room with an extra sofa bed. The views are stunning. It was heavenly to lie by that swimming pool with a nice glass of wine. The couple who run it could not do enough for you and they have 2 young children themselves. There are restuarants and the boat dock about 5 - 10 mins walk away, through a little park. A little road train also goes up and down.

notyummy Thu 06-Oct-11 09:42:53

Depends on what your budget is and whether you would like some company for your children tbh. We have been to both Tuscany and Lake Garda and stayed in chalets with Thomson Al Fresco and Canvas holidays. Had a fantastic time. Great facilities, wonderful views, lots of children to make friends with, but no forced entertainment or anything like that. Would recommend in particular:

Peaceful site set in pinewoods with a short walk to a medieval hilltown with restaurants etc. Restaurant on site is excellent and has fab views. 5 mins from the beach by car or 10 by bike.

The most breathtaking views - but you need to book the best chalets in advance. V steep site. Walking distance from port with restaurant. Cycling distance to stunning Salo.

Family run and very friendly. Close to Eden (above) but slightly further from port and Salo.

fastweb Thu 06-Oct-11 09:48:10

Celle Ligure

Very child centric (in the Italian sense, do not expect soft play etc).

Very pretty.

Not cheap.

My husband was almost born there (august baby) spent every summer there until he was 30

We took our son there for the first few summers, until I revolted, the summer crowd all know each other and are terrible gossips. But still think it is a great place with kids.

Just watch them carefully in the sea, it is not a long shallow decent into the water.

And it is stony.

fastweb Thu 06-Oct-11 09:53:09

forgot to say, pleanty of appartment for short term rent in Celle if you prefer self catering.

I'll see what I can dig up in English if it sounds like your cup of tea, but it is not an international tourist kind of place, which might be off putting ?

You would need a few bits of Italian and be willing to mime etc, although most younger people have "school" English so you wouldn't be utterly without help.

witchwithallthetrimmings Thu 06-Oct-11 09:54:31

We love chia in the south of sardinia in spring. The beaches are absolutely breathtaking and will be empty outside of the main easter period. The sea will be warm enough to swim (for uk skin, locals will be in puffa jackets!). Lovely walks in the hills. Food is amazing and v. child friendly. Loads of self-catering places to rent either on the coast or slightly inland

fastweb Thu 06-Oct-11 10:04:56

pics of celle

these are the sort of buildings the rentals near the sea are in

www.savonanews.it/fileadmin/archivio/savonanews/old/C/Celle_Ligure10042009.jpg

Modern stuff is a walk up the hill

And this the sea front this winter when a ruddy great storm surge hit, but don't worry very rare evernt.

But as you can see, v. pretty place

farm4.static.flickr.com/3150/3083829537_922e74b2f1.jpg

I almost want to go back for a hol now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now