Advanced search

Best handbag for Barcelona?

(15 Posts)
DeepLeafEverything Tue 13-Sep-11 14:34:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DeepLeafEverything Tue 13-Sep-11 20:03:20

Desiderata Tue 13-Sep-11 20:04:22

The best handbag for Barcelona is one that can't be nicked.

mumblechum1 Tue 13-Sep-11 20:07:57

Oooh I'm bought some lovely bags in Barcelona a few months ago. Take something boring and practical, then buy something lovely and unusual when you're there.

If I were you and you don't want to go whopping there, just take cash in your pockets and boring nappies etc in the pushchair.

I've spent a lot of time in Barca and seen 3 people getting pickpocketed or the immediate aftermath, so I just keep 100Euros in my jeans pocket together with my card.

mumblechum1 Tue 13-Sep-11 20:08:31

not whopping, shopping.

There are special clubs for whopping if you're into that sort of thing.

DeepLeafEverything Tue 13-Sep-11 20:09:49

Desiderata Tue 13-Sep-11 20:39:48

I used to be a tour guide in Barcelona. I'd just taken all the money for a trip the following day, and the wallet was resting on the dashboard on the coach. It had about £900 in it.

Some bastard whipped it, and I took chase, quickly followed by a very good-looking man who raced out of a barbers to help me.

We got the bugger, but the moral of the tale is, wear a handbag as close to your body as conceivably possible. And don't wear it road-side. Make sure of that.

It needs to be as small as you can make it.

mumblechum1 Tue 13-Sep-11 20:44:06

Why do you need a handbag at all, though?

DeepLeafEverything Tue 13-Sep-11 21:04:51

mumblechum1 Tue 13-Sep-11 21:10:46

You're probably right. I've just remembered the time I went out in a dress in Barcelona with no pockets and a fifty euro note fell out of my bra somehow.

I'm forever going out with money in my shoes, my bra, or down my tights if I don't have pockets (or not with dh who is very good about beingmy pack mule)

DeepLeafEverything Tue 13-Sep-11 21:39:29

gordonpym Wed 14-Sep-11 20:40:10

Any cross body bag will do. Just remember to keep your bag on your knees when eating in a restaurant (never leave it on the floor or chair). Be careful when getting in and out of metro. You don't need to put your money in your shoes or bra! In this site, you'll find some of the most common techniques, but read it just to be prepared and not scared. jon.es/barna/scams.html
Barcelona is an amazing city, and you'll have a great time. Don't let your fear rob your pleasure!

Halbanoo Fri 16-Sep-11 20:03:44

I was in Barcelona in April and had zero problems with my Kipling crossbody bag. The strap is super thick and would take a machete (which, luckily, I didn't see anyone walking down the street with....) to cut. grin

Barcelona is fab! Don't let the tales of heavy petty crime ruin your trip--it's really not that bad if you're smart about it.

ginmakesitallok Fri 16-Sep-11 20:13:29

I got my purse nicked on Train to Barcelona - was struggling to get on with 2 DDs (14ish months and 6) while helping DP on with buggy. Really busy train. 10 minutes int journey noticed some bastard had opened my bag and nicked purse - had about 100E in it. Cancelled credit cards on train, but had to wait until I gt off train and fund internet cafe to cancel maestro card - by the time I di that they'd managed t get £350 out of it (think they'd been watching me take out money at train station). Bought new cross body bag, with flap and zip and didn't carry cash.

Be careful of the gypsy women with kids if you are sitting outside eating - one nearly had my purse, but I got to it before she did.

Having said that - Barcelona is my favourite city in the world, enjoy your trip

DeepLeafEverything Wed 21-Sep-11 21:56:45

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now