Talk

Advanced search

Warm European destination for next Feb

(7 Posts)
juneau Sun 04-Sep-11 10:44:13

We'd like to take a week's holiday in mid-Feb 2012 to somewhere warm. Our kids will be 4 years old and 9 months old at the time. I'd like to self cater as hotels are a nightmare with little kids in my experience and I was thinking maybe Lanzarote? I've never been, so is the weather warm in Feb? Is it beach/pool weather or just milder than home? Can anyone recommend a villa/house/apartment that's worked well for them and their kids in the past? I'm thinking it would be nice to be close to the beach and either in or close to a town with shops, restaurants, etc. If anyone has any recommendations I'd be really grateful. Thanks! Oh, and it doesn't have to be Lanzarote - but we want somewhere short haul as it's only for a week.

omnishambles Sun 04-Sep-11 10:55:14

we did fuerteventura in feb and it was very warm - I got badly burnt in fact, windy but warm. very good destination for young families as well. we had a villa from ownersdirect with 3 beds and own pool for 500quid for the week then easyjet flights were cheap on top...

we chose fuerte as its less built up ten the others and has more of a relaxed vibe - theres a surfy vibe going on as well as the usual egg and chips thing.

juneau Sun 04-Sep-11 15:46:56

Egg and chips thing? Exactly how tacky is it? I'm a bit of a travel snob, if I'm honest, and the whole English Breakfasts Sold Here thing doesn't appeal in the slightest.

omnishambles Mon 05-Sep-11 22:31:39

hmm I am also a travel snob but we found it ok. I think all of the canaries have a strong english breakfast sold here vibe but fuerte is less than the others.

If you are in a villa with your own pool and just venture out for the amazing beaches and boat trips to deserted islands and fish restaurants round the harbour then you'll be fine. The tackiness is confined to the strip in town which is inland in corralejo. Mind you the other end of the island (jandia) is all german so theres no fish and chips etc at all which might suit.

juneau Tue 06-Sep-11 13:07:34

Thanks omni - I'll do a bit of research - but you're right we'll be mostly doing our own thing so perhaps we can avoid the beer and chips brigade!

downpipe Tue 06-Sep-11 16:02:52

Hi, been to both Fuerte and Lanzarote with our son when he was 6 months and 17 months and agree both lovely for a holiday that time of .year.In fact, wouldn't go anywhere other than Canaries with small children if after winter sun holiday.Lanzarote has a bit more culture due to the influence of Cesar Manrique but we also loved the sand dunes in Fuerteventura.We went low budget in Fuerte as an experiment and stayed at Jardins de Marineras , it was fabulous for children as has a creche, 3 swimming pools , an enclosed play area and can be anything from self-catering to full board in 2 bed apartments.It was very reasonable,was so easy to entertain our son there, and we really enjoyed it (to our surprise as pre-baby we would have gone for boutique hotel -type of places).In Lanzarote we stayed in The Gran Melia Salinas hotel,have a look at that too as they have villas in the gardens which are bigger and more suitable for a family(we were all just in one room but as DS was 6 months was fine)

juneau Tue 06-Sep-11 22:18:49

Thanks downpipe - it's good to hear that you've been at that time of year and the weather was good. I so want some sun - we haven't had a summer holiday this year because of DS2 being born in May and DH's job and I'm dying to go somewhere foreign and warm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now