Talk

Advanced search

Come and talk to me about Bulgaria

(15 Posts)
noyouhavehadawee Sat 03-Sep-11 20:11:40

Have you been (sun holiday NOT skiing) and would you recommend it - dh is keen and im in 2 minds mainly down to safety and food . If you went would you recommend where you steyed and what board basis etc.... someoen has said its a bit like blackpool which alos massively put me off.

We have not took our children abroad as yet and are between Menorca but its coming in at 3k AI for 2 weeks or Bulgaria which is significantly cheaper hence DH keenness. smile thanks

Ponders Sat 03-Sep-11 20:15:57

after their fans' behaviour at the England match in Sofia we should be boycotting Bulgaria IMO angry

(but that doesn't help you - sorry! smile)

noyouhavehadawee Sat 03-Sep-11 20:20:37

Oooo i dont know anything about that - when was that then?

K999 Sat 03-Sep-11 20:22:34

I've been, liked it. Cheap and cheerful. Dd1 loved it.

Can't comment about football fans behaviour. I'm Scottish and the Tartan Army are always impeccably behaved grin

Ponders Sat 03-Sep-11 20:24:57

monkey noises, Nazi salutes & letting off flares in the stands hmm

(& a banner saying 'fuck uefa', that'll go down well!)

Merrylegs Sat 03-Sep-11 20:30:52

My friend has just come back from a family holiday in Bulgaria.

Uselessly I can't remember where she stayed, but the travel agent did warn her it was like Yarmouth with Russians.

She had a really good time and is fantastically tanned.

They stayed in a self catering apartment with a communal swimming pool which she said was really clean.

Their apartment was set back from the main drag and they found a nice empty beach.

The resort itself was pretty full on (lots of 'sexy nightclubs' etc) but it was all v cheap (Bulgaria not in euro).

The only thing that freaked her out was that she forgot to get Hep and Typhoid vaccs before going, but the GP said just don't have ice in your drinks, or have the local ice cream. They were fine.

(On the plus side the public loos were fantastically clean and opulent apparently- you have to pay to go in them.... If that doesn't persuade you...!)

noyouhavehadawee Sat 03-Sep-11 20:31:18

tut tut disgraceful behaviour, !

K999 where did you go and stay and food etc.... was it like blackpool ?

noyouhavehadawee Sat 03-Sep-11 20:33:18

Merrylegs i think you have just killed it with the typhoid and hep b talk and them words YARMOUTH - the only place inthe UK i actually despise - best face up to being a holiday snob blush.

K999 Sat 03-Sep-11 20:37:58

Stayed in Golden Sands. Lots of Russians go but that didn't bother me. I love all nationalities! It was a relaxing enjoyable holiday.

Merrylegs Sat 03-Sep-11 20:43:19

Ha ha. Sorry about that! They hired a car and went to visit lots of little villages and towns and said it was absolutely beautiful if that makes it any better. (Her youngest DC is 4, just to give an idea of the ages.) Honestly, she did have a really good time!

(We had a fab day out at Gt Yarmouth pleasure beach this week. DD is desperate to have her ears pierced. She said to me 'Look, mummy ALL the children in Yarmouth have their ears pierced. Even the boys.' )

<am not judging. Just saying.......>

noyouhavehadawee Sat 03-Sep-11 20:48:57

i get ya wink

So do you think K999 golden sands might be nicer than sunny beach sex resort? grin

Merrylegs Sat 03-Sep-11 20:50:56

(ps just to clarify - 'Yarmouth with Russians' was a descriptive not a denegrating statement. Think the travel agent meant that the place in Bulgaria happened to be a tacky holiday resort that a lot of Russian people go to. Just as Yarmouth is a tacky holiday resort that a lot of British people go to.)

K999 Sat 03-Sep-11 20:52:59

I have heard that Golden Sands is bit nicer than Sunny Beach smile

Daughteroflilith Sat 03-Sep-11 21:16:27

There is a lovely place called Nessebar which has historic buildings and cobbled streets. It is about 1 mile from Sunny Beach, which is a nice beach as long as you face towards the sea, not the concrete hell which is Sunny Beach. There is a very cheap bus to the beach every 10 minutes. Nessebar (sometimes spelled Nessebur or Nesebur) has some lovely shops and restaurants. The seafood is great. But resorts like Sunny Beach are a bit Benidorm.

MayDayChild Sat 03-Sep-11 21:27:52

I loved it! Expensive now actually on seafront like 5€ for beer but great for kids, they love us Brits and they love kids. lots of Russians and Romanians.
Beautiful beaches but public so busy and frantic but great sand.
Water cold in may, so go later in season when summer has warmed it up.
Food amazing as long as you're not a fussy chips and nuggets Brit.
We went all incl in a 5 star brand new hotel but some of the hotels look like dead on their feet 70's style. But clean. Very clean.
Flights are dreadful, landing at 3am type terrible so look carefully.
We stayed in resort closer to nessebar. I would recommend it and would go back on better flight times when kids are older.
Try booking independently as BA do fly there.
We stayed at Melia hotel. Glorious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now