Talk

Advanced search

October Half Term- Portugal, Cyprus or Lanzarote?

(9 Posts)
TheHouseofMirth Mon 29-Aug-11 21:39:33

Looking for a villa holiday for me, DH, DSs who are 2 and 6 years old and MIL.

Would like to stay somewhere with a bit of character and not just a purpose built resort, with a nice, sandy beach, shops within walking distance for MIL to potter about in, a good selection of restaurants and some easily reachable sight seeing.

DH hates flying so we're limited to short haul flights. Portugal is winning at the moment but not sure about the weather at the end of October.

Feel like we're running out of time and the more I look on the internet at stuff the more confused I'm getting!

nametapes Tue 30-Aug-11 13:21:42

Cyprus is my favourite. you may find somewhre there, Seeks travel agent advice....?

SecretSquirrels Wed 31-Aug-11 18:31:18

In October the most reliable warm sunshine would be in Lanzarote. However I don't think that would tick all the boxes as it's not pretty and I wouldn't think the shopping is up to much unless tourist tat is your thing.
Portugal could be warm but I've been in October and had a week of rain.
I'd go for Cyprus.

TheHouseofMirth Thu 01-Sep-11 17:56:40

Thanks SecretSquirrels Do you know Cyprus? Can you recommend anywhere?

SecretSquirrels Thu 01-Sep-11 19:38:36

I would think Paphos would suit all the family. I haven't stayed there with children though.

BrigitBigKnickers Thu 01-Sep-11 19:47:46

Coral Bay (very near Paphos) is a lovely resort in Cyprus lovely beach and some super restaurants- don't know about the weather in October though- we went in April one year and it was a bit mixed.

We regularly go to Portugal in October and the weather is usually lovely and warm- temps last year were around 75 F.

If you want a bit more character the western end of the Algarve is lovely. Luz is small but still loads of restaurants and a smashing beach or if you want somewhere a bit bigger nearby Lagos is lovely too.

dinkystinky Fri 02-Sep-11 11:32:40

Hi THOM - we've been to Lanzarote twice, staying in Arrieta (away from big resorts). Lovely local beach there, great sea food restaurants, nice places to look round (lots of Cesar Manrique statues/sculptures/buildings) - not so great for the walking though.

sand18cyp Wed 07-Sep-11 18:54:50

Cyprus is lovely in October still very warm in the day but cooler at nights, Protaras is a lovely area for children. Great site for hiring baby equipment is http://www.kiddykithire.com/

KittyWalker Wed 07-Sep-11 18:59:21

I lived in Cyprus for 3 years with small children. October is a lovely time of year, still warm enough to go in the sea but not too hot that it becomes unbearable - particularly difficult when it gets that hot with little ones.

My favourite place to stay was Pissouri at the Columbia Beach Hotel or next door at the resort. The Four Seasons in Limassol was a favourite with some of the families I knew. The Cyps love children, wherever you go you will be made to feel welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now