Talk

Advanced search

If you were booking an overseas holiday - which was the first your children had ever been on, where would you go?

(11 Posts)
Saltire Sat 20-Aug-11 11:13:37

Looking to book somewhere April next year. I hate flying (in fact have a fear of it) the Dses (13 and 11) have never been overseas at all. DH is a seasoned flyer and wants to got o Floridahmm

I was thinking Portugal? or Canary islands?

Any suggestions?

mollymole Sat 20-Aug-11 11:18:26

menorca/majorca or drive to france

jellybeans Sat 20-Aug-11 11:23:58

I think Menorca. Safe and friendly.

Saltire Sat 20-Aug-11 11:25:47

Any particular resort?

Thanks for these opinions, I've only been overseas onceblush and am very anxious about flying, but DH ahs beenw anting to go on an overseas holiday before the DSes get too old to want to go with us

stressheaderic Sat 20-Aug-11 11:28:07

We went to Cala Bona in Majorca last year when DD was 7 months. I would say it was perfect for us - 2 hours 5 mins on plane, lovely long prom to stroll along with buggy every evening, nice restaurants, nice people. Highly recommended!

mollymole Sat 20-Aug-11 11:31:21

can second Cala Bona, also Peutro Pollensa has a long flat beach front and is very family friendy , my brother and his family usually go to menorca as it is quiet

MrsRobertDuvall Sat 20-Aug-11 11:37:25

We went to Rocha Brava, Carvoiero, Portugal...and loved it.

Saltire Sat 20-Aug-11 11:47:20

Great thanks everyone. I've been looking at Portugal too - we went there for honeymoon and I just about coped with the flight

Saltire Sat 20-Aug-11 11:47:48

Would you recommend a private villa, or a complex? Am thinking a complex as there'd be more to do

MrsRobertDuvall Sat 20-Aug-11 11:50:34

Rocha Brava is a complex, but a lovely one.
Has 3 swimming pools, couple of restaurants, bars, supermarkets.
Beautifully maintained, 15 minutes walk from a lovely beach, and there are fantastic little beaches within a 10 minute drive.
A five minute drive from Carvoiero, which has lots of restaurants and bars.

Ladymuck Sat 20-Aug-11 11:54:03

At that age I would also consider a cruise. With P&O or Royal Carribbean you would have plenty of activities on board, you can have a number of day trips in various resorts, and no flying. We did an Eastern Med cruise with Royal Caribbean with our 8&10 year old and it was fab - daytrips to Athens, Pompeii, Jerusalem, Galilee and Ephesus but also time to chill by pool, or beach in Rhodes and Crete. Our cruise started from Rome so did involve a flight, but plenty start from Southampton.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now