Talk

Advanced search

Please give me your thoughts on these city break destinations!

(11 Posts)
EdnaKrabappel Sun 14-Aug-11 19:43:36

Using airmiles on a specific date, so no other options other than those below. Has anyone been to any of these? Would you recommend or avoid?

We want somewhere interesting, good sites, decent food/ drinks. Going with a female friend so not looking for romantic stuff! but want to be safe obviously.

Copenhagen
Gothenburg
Vienna
Salzburg
Budapest
Stockholm

Thanks!

Yourefired Sun 14-Aug-11 19:58:42

I loved copenhagen, felt very safe. Tivoli amusement park worth a visit and take the boat trip to see the port, palace, little mermaid etc. Food quality is fantastic. But expensive, it's london prices all the way.

Geordieminx Sun 14-Aug-11 21:05:30

Copenhagen is lovely, and as yourefired said, Tivoli is well worth a visit. Yo could also get the train across the bridge and have a day in Malmo which is nice too

I have always wanted to go to Vienna, would love to see the horses, but is either your thing or not.

Budapest is probably the cheapest of your picks.

I would go with Vienna.

What time of year?

bigTillyMint Sun 14-Aug-11 21:07:45

I would love to go to
Copenhagen
Budapest
Stockholm

but as I haven't been to any, I can't offer any advice smile

TotalChaos Sun 14-Aug-11 21:22:05

Have stayed in Vienna and Stockholm. Vienna particularly good for cafes and art galleries and palaces. Stockholm has old town, also boat trips on archipelago. Stockholm v dear to eat out (booze dear too).

EdnaKrabappel Sun 14-Aug-11 21:34:44

Going in October. We're down to Vienna vs Copenhagen, with Vienna edging it...

kayah Sun 14-Aug-11 21:36:44

Vienna is great, I went for friends 30-th birthday in cold January few years ago and loved it. Opera, cafes, food - all worth our time and money spent.

Geordieminx Sun 14-Aug-11 21:48:44

Vienna!

Ah viennnnnAaaaaaaaaaa

Shanghaidiva Mon 15-Aug-11 16:23:58

I used to live in Austria and Vienna is a lovely city with good public transport so easy to get around. Recommend Schoenbrunn, Upper Belvedere which houses Klimt's Kiss, Hundertwasser buildings. Hotels are pretty pricey and we used to stay at the Ibis near the West railway station and tube stop.

Matsikula Tue 30-Aug-11 20:14:39

Have not been to Vienna properly (brief overnight visit, many years ago), so I can't make a comparison, but went to Copenhagen a few years ago and it was lovely. Some good museums like the Carlsberg Glypotek and surprisingly good shopping (if you like Scandinavian designs and labels like Bruuns Bazaar). There's a trendy area sort of behind the station called Norrebro / Vesterbro with some cool bars and restaurants. Also getting around was pretty hassle free.

But eating out was hideously expensive, and it seemed particularly noticable if you just wanted a sandwich or something for lunch. Also, they have a bit of a British attitude towards drinking and the traditional nightlife area (the Latin Quarter) was quite loud and boozy. Also I think Tivoli will be closed by October.

We also saw some terrible experimental jazz, but that can easily be avoided!

orienteerer Tue 30-Aug-11 20:18:48

It has to be Vienna (biased as have lived theregrin).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now