Talk

Advanced search

Ireland - but where??

(10 Posts)
sunflowerandcress Sun 07-Aug-11 17:22:41

Where to go...... I'm clueless having never been there.

I would like to take the DCs and DH to spend a week over there visiting a really pretty typically Irish area (castles, mountains etc). Can anyone suggest the best area to start researching or even great towns (not Dublin though)?

We only have a week so it must be drivable from the ferry terminal (we'll be coming from Wales). grin

Also if anyone has stayed somewhere great and child friendly please post!

crispyseaweed Sun 07-Aug-11 19:49:09

I have been 2x and went to Kilarney, and Galway which are small towns and typically Irish I guess. Personally i enjoyed Dublin best but my Irish friend says Donegal is wonderful .....
I suppose if you want somewhere really remote then the west coast would be the place.

SJisontheway Sun 07-Aug-11 19:51:46

Which ferry port and what's your budget?

DuelingFanjo Sun 07-Aug-11 19:57:01

I think Donegal would be hard to get to from the ferry, unless there's one which goes to the North - shame as it's a lovley place. Galway is lovely too but again is it too far?

What about Waterford? Don't know if there's a castle or mountains though.

glastocat Sun 07-Aug-11 20:07:25

West Cork and Kerry are gorgeous. Donegal is too, but it's a long way from the ferry.Waterford is ok but nothing like as lovely as west cork.

bran Sun 07-Aug-11 20:16:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Udderly Sun 07-Aug-11 20:26:00

Galway City is 2 hours from Dublin, motorway all the way. Connemara is absolutely beautiful, Clonbur, Cornamona, Maam, Lenane, Clifden, all amazing. Galway City itself is fab and quite contained. Salthill is a nice area for families with 2 really nice hotels - Salthill Hotel & Galway Bay Hote (I'd choose Salthill Hotel for the new leisure centre)l. Promemade walk along the beach into the City Centre.

CestTout Sun 07-Aug-11 22:05:09

Another vote for West Cork - lovely area.

JetLi Sun 07-Aug-11 22:06:47

Galway

Maryz Sun 07-Aug-11 22:11:19

You need to have a look at this thread if you have a couple of days to spare grin.

Which ferry port will you arrive at, because if you can ferry to Cork, then obviously West Cork is the place to go, but if you arrive in Dublin it's only two hours to Galway city, and then the whole Burren and Connemara are open to you.

You will notice from the other thread that I'm rather partial to Galway blush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now