Talk

Advanced search

Siblu holiday in France. Any tips?

(14 Posts)
SarkySpanner Sat 06-Aug-11 15:38:23

Not done this sort of holiday before smile

Any tips on what (not) to take?
Any hidden costs to be careful about etc?

(we're in a caravan on their La pignade site)

Thanks.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 06-Aug-11 22:52:26

Shouldn't be any hidden costs.

Take what you normally would for a holiday.

Have a great time! Simple!

SarkySpanner Sat 06-Aug-11 23:06:31

Thanks.
Website wasn't very clear about which of the activities cost extra. Good to hear there isn't anything big I need to budget for.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 06-Aug-11 23:12:37

Ah, there might be a charge for extra activities but they're usually not much.

We stayed with Keycamp recently and their cycle hire was cheaper on site than other places in the town.

greedygoose Sun 07-Aug-11 15:47:24

Just back from Siblu - take usual self catering stuff before you get there (shop just crazy silly pricey) we took on recommendation bin bags, washing up liquid, sponge etc and coffee tea etc. Bread only thing I would buy from shop.....
Kids club included.

SarkySpanner Sun 07-Aug-11 18:02:14

Thanks greedy.

Did you have fun? smile

Stinkyfeet Sun 07-Aug-11 18:20:35

We went to Les Charmettes in June; we had to buy a sports pass which gave credits for things like mini golf, tennis courts, archery, scuba diving etc. I think they cost E12 per 4 points, and it was something like 1 point for up to 4 people to play golf, 2 points for 1 hour tennis court hire. We only used 1 E12 pass for the time we were there, but if your family is very sporty it could mount up.

I don't think there was anything else we had to pay extra for.

Have a great time!

Portofino Sun 07-Aug-11 21:35:08

Second what greedygoose said. If you are driving, take basic cleaning stuff, bin bags, tea towels, bath mats. Go to supermarkets off site and just buy fresh bread in the site shop. I paid 40 euros for 2 weeks wifi access at La Carabasse this year. We had a great connections so I didn't mind.

Depending on age of kids, bike hire was about 25 euros per week. They have lots of machines filled with Hello Kitty / Super Mario stuff, so you have to be strong against pester power or allow a little in your budget. Drinks at the bar are not as cheap as off site places.

Siblu are really strict about food/drinks round the pool. I took a cool bag and refilled plastic water bottles to avoid buying water at the pool. We have stayed at La Carabasse and Lac des Reves and the big thing I noticed at both places is that they have a relatively small number of fixed plastic sunbeds at the pool. You have to get there early to get one. After that, you can rent a more comfy version at 2.50 euros each. That can add up. Of course you can put towels down anywhere....

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 07-Aug-11 21:41:33

We went to La Reserve over Easter.

We paid for the towel and linen packs which was well worth it and I would definitely recommend it (we flew so it saved us from having to take them all in our luggage).

We didn't pay for any extras on site - the pool was free, as were all of the parks.

We had an excellent time and I'm sure that you will too.

SarkySpanner Sun 07-Aug-11 22:02:52

Thank you all so much for taking the time to post.

Good tip about the bedding - will see if I can still request that.

Are the kitchens fairly well equipped?

Portofino Sun 07-Aug-11 22:38:14

Ours had everything. We took a sharp knife - and coffee filters. A lot of the mobiles are owned by French families, so they might have things you wouldn't see as essential (salad spinners) and be lacking in others but we have always managed grin. We had an Excellence model this year and got a tv (french channels only) and a washing machine!!!! I was SO impressed.

Are you flying or driving? If driving, def take bath mats/towels. I always pack in those lifetime shopping bags - a la Ikea. They pack down to nothing and can be used for shopping, beach trips etc.

Ineedcaffeine Tue 09-Aug-11 16:28:34

we stayed with Siblu last year in the Vendee - and booked the bed linen packs (don't bother with the towel pack, as £9.50 for a bath and hand towel is extortionate). The best bit for me, was that (unlike other firms we've used before) the staff at Siblu had made the beds up for us!! Great when you arrive late, with tired children.
The plugs in the caravan we had were continental ones - but we were able to rent adapters from reception (5 Euro each), and on return we got our money back!!
agree with everyone else - take a bath mat; I had to buy one the first time we went, and have taken it with us whenever we've gone to France.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 09-Aug-11 20:07:48

Things must differ from site to site in that case Ineedcaffine.

Our towel packs included a beach towel, bath towel, hand towel and tea towel each - and they weere all nice and fluffy!

Our beds weren't made up.

We took a travel adaptor so no worries on that front (they were continental plugs)

We didn't have a bath, only a shower that had good non-slip markings on the base so no problems there.

We did take our travel black out blind (some black out curtain lining and gaffer tape!) to put in the boys bedroom as the curtains were vey thin.

makemineapinot Tue 16-Aug-11 16:01:45

Ah but you don't jut use bath mats for the shower/bath - I use my towelling bath mat for the front door to stop all the sand coming in the caravan!! One downer about the towel packs is that everyone ahs the same towels - we did that once and the kids ended up with old really manky towels from a family who'd been there 3 weeks - they got out fresh ones!! When all the towels are together at the pool/beach it's easy to mix identical ones up! boak! If you're driving take basic foodstuff with you - you'll eat it alla nd leave room to bring wine home!! if you like mugs/big wine glasses pack them too as they're usually small in caravans. portable dvd player is handy too. And a sharp knife is good to take - usually quite blunt!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now