Talk

Advanced search

Holiday with 17 month old

(6 Posts)
Saintsfan Thu 04-Aug-11 12:23:43

Hi there,

I am travelling to Spain in 3 weeks with my 17 mo DS by myself and meeting family out there. We've travelled by planed before with DH and it was a nightmare of going up and down the aisle and apologising to everyone each time for the entire 3.5 hour journey. As I'm on my own this time, it's going to be even harder and I wondered if anyone had any tips for keeping DS amused, seated or perhaps even asleep?

Also, I have heard of non-slippy shoes that children can wear to go in the sea/swimming pool with that have sucky bits on the bottom. Does anyone know what they are called and recommend getting some? I am worried about him slipping over by the pool as he runs around so much.

Last thing smile - anyone recommend getting a swimming vest with floats in it and where I can get one?

Thanks a lot!

crispyseaweed Thu 04-Aug-11 13:33:42

Sports Direct have floatie suits, also what about Mothercare?
Good luck with the flight.
Not sure what to recommend to keep a 17 mt old busy, some new small toys perhaps, and his is favourite snack , and just hope he sleeps for as long a possible.

Saintsfan Sat 06-Aug-11 14:03:36

Thanks - I found everything I wanted at Sports Direct - a lot cheaper than Mothercare including the shoes (which are called Aqua Shoes smile)

Saintsfan Sat 06-Aug-11 14:04:12

Still could really do with some tips for the flight as I know he won't sleep at all...

Rollergirl1 Sat 06-Aug-11 20:15:46

But isn't it only a 2 hour flight to spain? Can you not keep him entertained with some inflight kids tv/film? Otherwise just lots of books? I also read quite a good tip on here once for keeping little ones entertained/distracted. Wrap up loads of kids own toys so they can have their own private pass the parcel. Would probably ensure that child stays in their seat...

BlueArmyGirl Sat 06-Aug-11 20:24:43

I found the hardest bit with mine at that age was the latter part of the flight where you had to be back in your seat - especially if we'd been wandering around the plane to try and keep him entertained. I took plenty of treats - chocolate, drinks etc. - so that he could have something to try a reduce pain of pressure changes when descending - he still has problems with ears on descent now as does dh! I took a bag in the hand luggage with favourite toys and few books as well as a head full of lap games and nursery rhymes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now