Talk

Advanced search

Disney Land Paris

(10 Posts)
onthemoveyetagain Mon 01-Aug-11 08:51:28

Hi there,

I must be the only person on the planet who knows absolutely nothing about Eurodisney. I don't even know where it is (obviously know it is in Paris). Thinking about taking our four children there in September (aged 8 months, 2, 4 an 6). Would they be too young? And could anyone give me any great pointers - especially on any great hotels to book. We can probably afford a nice one as we are only going for 3 nights but having said that I don't want to waste my money if it is a complete rip off!

Many thanks for any thoughts!

Runoutofideas Mon 01-Aug-11 11:32:46

I went last week with my 2 girls aged 6 and 3 (nearly 4). I would say your younger two would definitely get more out of it if you leave it for a couple of years. The older ones may then be ok for the big rollercoasters too.

We had a fabulous time and I would recommend it but think I would have been far more frazzled with a baby and 2 year old in tow too! We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel (the pink castle one) which is right on site so very easy to pop back to in the day time. On our 2nd day we all went back for an afternoon sleep so that the girls could stay up for the parade and fireworks which didn't happen until 10.30pm. That hotel is also good for meeting characters as they are often wandering around reception or greeting people at breakfast. If you try to meet them in the parks the queues can be horrendous.

My 3 year old was a bit scared of everything and had to be really persuaded to try rides, but once she did she loved them all!

We went by Eurostar from St Pancras which was very easy and quick. If you get the one direct to Marne La Vallee then it is about 2 minutes walk to the park and the Disneyland Hotel.

Can't comment about any other hotels as I didn't try them. Did see big queues for shuttle buses though.

nowit Wed 03-Aug-11 20:16:13

Watching with interest, anyone else? We have a 3 dc, 7,4 and 2 and we are going on Monday!! Any more tips?

Runoutofideas Thu 04-Aug-11 07:29:21

Nowit - If your children like dressing up, take the costumes with you as they are about E60/E70 there. My dd dressed as Cinderella and loved it when "real" Cinderella spotted her from a float and gave her a special wave. Also go to the Tarzan show. It was very spectacular with lots of acrobatics and gymnastics. My girls loved it. Restaurant wise we had good meals at the Rainforest Cafe and King Ludwig's castle. Our receipt from Rainforest cafe gave us money off at King Ludwig's the following day, which made it not bad value. Where are you staying? Have fun!

tallulah Thu 04-Aug-11 08:20:37

We stayed at the Elysee in Val d'Europ. Very nice hotel but the shuttle buses were hit and miss. Got us there but didn't turn up to take us home. Ended up on the train which was easier and not too expensive.

TBH we weren't impressed with DLP at all. We've been to DW Florida and there is no comparison. It may be called Disney but the French don't have the same ethos for service. Everything was very slow and the staff were surly. People push in everywhere and the staff do nothing. People smoke everywhere and again the staff do nothing. We felt we'd have been better off going to Alton Towers and saving a small fortune.

Our 4 yo was too small to go on a lot of the rides, and those she could go on had ridiculously long queues (Dumbo consistently 45 min queue all day every day for example). We did enjoy the shows- the Tarzan one previously mentioned was fantastic and we saw it twice. Following the leader was pretty good too- half in French and half in English but easy to follow.

Because of the Euro everything is very very expensive. A pretty bog standard meal in the Rain Forest cafe (veg mains and pud for 2 plus a kids meal, soft drinks) was €77. While kids meals in the UK tend to be about £5 there they ranged from about €11-14.

Sorry to add a damper but I wish we'd known this before we went- everyone always raves about DLP and I just can't see why.

perfumedlife Fri 05-Aug-11 23:19:22

oh hell, am taking ds here Sunday sad Still, being France, the wine should be nice.

Runoutofideas Sat 06-Aug-11 09:29:49

It is pretty pricy. We didn't experience the pushing in problem though and yes, some people smoke, but most of it is outside so it didn't affect us. The staff we encountered were pleasant too. We haven't been to Florida though so can't compare. Hope you have a great time perfumedlife.

perfumedlife Sat 06-Aug-11 11:51:08

Thanks for the good info Runoutofideas smile Am sure it will be great, ds is 7 so a good age to get a lot out of it. Have two days at the park and one in Paris, hope that's enough time.

greedygoose Sun 07-Aug-11 15:50:36

Pricey would be an understatement but people still buy it all from what I could see, I was totally shocked!
We took picnics in every day, just a baguette and drink and the kids were allowed to choose one toy at the end of 3 days. We bought an ice cream each day and that was about it. Stayed at Davy Crockett which was FAB, kids loved the log cabin and it was spotless (need car tho)
We enjoyed it but would not go back. Our just 3 year old did not get it at all, others almost 5 and 7 totally loved it!

greedygoose Sun 07-Aug-11 15:51:23

Oh yes and Cafe Mickey was the best thing we did there for sure to meet all the characters...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now