Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations needed for august holiday with toddler

(13 Posts)
MrsMoosh Sun 31-Jul-11 08:47:11

I've finally decided to grit teeth and book our first family holiday with one v.fussy DH and highly energetic DD. We have to go at the end of august. DH wants to go somewhere nice and hot close to a beach with a heated pool for DD. He likes the idea of Spain or Portugal but I'm a bit worried about the heat for DD. He is also technology addicted so will need Internet.

My main criteria is having some sort separate sleeping area for DD s we don't have to go to bed at same time as her. Will consider anything, even tent! A kids club or baby listening service would be fantastic. But we're leaving it pretty late so atbthis stage I just want to book something that doesn't end up being a disaster!! Help!!

Portofino Mon 01-Aug-11 13:12:36

We went to La Carabasse with Siblu this year. Very close to Beziers airport and everything within walking distance, so you don't need a car. Great pools, lovely shallow beach, wifi in the mobiles (at cost). We had a 2 bed Execellence with terrace and air con. It was lovely - We even got a washing machine. They have a club for the littlies each day but it's more of an organised playtime - you don't leave them. Everyone kept the kids up late.

makemineapinot Mon 01-Aug-11 20:31:01

ooo Portofino (sorry for hi jack!!) thank you for posting that - that's where I'm looking at for next year!!! Is it really good? grin
Sorry Mrs Moosh, I was just going to recommend a campsite abroad - then when dd goes to bed you can sit outside your mobile home and open some wine!! Very easy and relaxed holiday.
this is one of my favourite campsites went back twice!! And I never go back to the same place twice!! Kids desperate to go back it is so perfect! And you don't need a car. Great pools, sandy, clean beach - gently shelves into water, shad eif you want it. Short walk through the pine trees to Eraclea Mare a lovely wee town with shps, restauarants, market etc. 45 min bus ride to Venice or to caorle in the other direction which has a water park and fab restauarants. Flights in venice then get the bus or a taxi (E80 ish)
we went here last year and it was fab - pool complex was amazing but it is hilly and the beach is shingly. Campsite restuarant was lovely and there are others to walk to. Short walk to Port Argeles wheich is well worth it - evening markets, lovely cafes and restuarants - as well as boat trips. there's a wee tourist train/bus you can get around on. Argeles plage is tat shop heaven but is the opposite side of the port so easily avoided. Again we didn't need the car - fly to perpignan and train to Argeles or taxi from airport (can book via the guy who runs the shop on site - Dutch, speaks English better than me - E50). Easy to get to Spain for a trip.

makemineapinot Mon 01-Aug-11 20:31:33

both have wifi x

Portofino Tue 02-Aug-11 00:18:05

makemine, yes, it was fab and dd loved it. It is not "posh" though. Vias is more of a Moules et Frites type of place. For kids, particularly teenagers, it is wonderful. Type of place I would go back to with dd when she is 15 and brings a friend. Equally good for babies though imho.

Interested in Porto Felice though - have seen that recommended elsewhere on MN. We did Union Lido when dd was 2.5 and really enjoyed it, maybe another suggestion.

makemineapinot Tue 02-Aug-11 13:44:38

yeah Portofelice is fab - we'll def go back but as I'm going to be a student next year and have enought tesco vouchers for a holiday I need to stick with Siblu or Cosmos next summer!! Think Select Camp and Canvas still go. Was la carabasse noisy at night?

Portofino Wed 03-Aug-11 07:28:36

Not especially as I recall. Several Tripadvisor reviews mentioned noise from Lunapark - just up the road - which kept them awake, but despite being that end of the site, we couldn't hear it at all. I guess if you are close to the central stage area, you are going to hear the shows. But they don't run that late. We were close to the bar/restaurant which is where they do the karaoke etc but don't recall hearing that.

makemineapinot Wed 03-Aug-11 22:31:39

oh that's good -it was the lunapark noise that put me off!! And the whole let's gomad in lunapark thing - dc will be 9 and 10 and I'll be on my own with them! Very tempted...

Portofino Wed 03-Aug-11 23:21:19

There is no "specific" noise from Lunapark. Think of your average funfair - each ride has a bit of music going on. They don't have big loudspeakers that inflict on the whole area. We went one night (save your pennies) and once you were outside the park you couldn't hear it. Let alone down the road. There is a great mini golf place next door. You couldn't hear it there either..

Portofino Wed 03-Aug-11 23:28:17

At 9 and 10 - it will be fab for them. Dd is 7 and a reasonable swimmer. She had free reign in the shallower pool and the water slides. The kids club is fab for the older ones (especially) - they were doing inflatable table football and sumo wrestling. Dd was most jealous.

makemineapinot Thu 04-Aug-11 18:59:18

oooh think you may ahve persuaded me then!! And if kids club is that good they migjt deign to go and give me some peace for a couple of hours!! grin even better - a win win situation!!

Portofino Thu 04-Aug-11 19:06:41

I am just thinking that I might rebook now why they have the big discounts for next year.....DH was wittering about Croatia.....I am divided about doing Italy vs France now....

Dd speaks French, so France is generally easier...

WendyLit Mon 05-Sep-11 10:21:49

Hi,

Jumping on the end here a bit late. We are looking at eurocamp or similar as well for August 2012, but flying, so we can get a bit further. However I have never had a non 'package hol' before and have no idea how it works with the flights. Are average costs for 4 going to be about £1000? It would be great to get some idea of cost to check it is an affordable option before we look any further into it. And does the camp holiday book this for you? Thanks for any help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now