Talk

Advanced search

Turin with Children

(2 Posts)
fedupwithdeployment Sat 30-Jul-11 23:00:12

For various reasons, towards the end of August, I will be spending a night or 2 in Turin wth DH and 2 x DS (4 and 6). I want to stay somewhere central, but with a family room (boys could easily sleep on a camp bed).

Has anyone go any suggestions? I have done a bit of searching, and the All Seaons Porto Nuevo seems ok....but I would love a characterful place in the centre.

Also- what is a must do, bearing in mind ages of the children. Has anyone been to the car museum?

Thnks in advance.

sunflowerandcress Sun 07-Aug-11 17:17:07

I love Turin. But it is a city and the Torinese do not approach child facilities as we do. There aren't loads of child friendly things to do per se.

So, what to do with kids?

There's a castle in central town - which may be open.

There are great outdoor pools/lido - one down by the river.

You could go to Venaria on the tram which once equalled Versaille - it has a lovely park and of course the palace which is much restored.

I haven't been to the car museum for years so can't say. But there is also an Egyptian museum right in the centre - but it does contain mummies!

Re Hotels - I think I prefer the ones just behind Via Roma (nearer Piazza Castello) that Porta Nova which remains seedy after dark (though only 5 mins from Via Roma). I've stayed Principi di Piemonte and Sitea (but they are 4/5 star).

After dark it is great to promenade along Via Roma and down Via Po to the river with one the fab gelati/ice creams on offer every two paces.

If you have a car and Dh has a spare day then take a drive to the wine area of Asti (looks just like Tuscany) or out to hills near Ivrea (Val de Cogne) which is like Austria. Just beautfil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now