Talk

Advanced search

Ok - you helped me choose my baby's name - help me with another lovely problem : ))) Poll

(19 Posts)
onthemoveyetagain Fri 29-Jul-11 13:51:12

Ok girls,

I had so much help on here when choosing my ds name and thanks to mumsnet and many of you he has a gorgeous name. I need your help again with another lovely problem. I have the weekend to choose a holiday and am being rubbish! Is anyone in the know and able to help? I have shortlisted it down to four hotels. We have four children aged 7 months, 2, 4 and 6. I want there to be lots for them to do but not worried about kids clubs as they usually come around with us grin.

So....my list is:

Delphin Palace - Turkey - looks nice, not sure about Lara resort - doesn't look that pretty. Put off by reviews that say there are no British there, just Germans. But plenty of reviews that rave. Looks nice for children.

Lykia World - Olu Deniz - rave reviews and Olu Deniz looks gorgeous. So much for children. But I can't help hearing about all the sickness - I know it's probably ok now but I have four very little ones and the 7 month old is being weaned. Plus, the rooms are supposed to be very dated in the village and have no bath!!!!!! It seems to be great fun but quite basic accommodation?

Sani Beach club - love the look of this one but there doesn't seem to be much for children. Someone said there is no evening entertainment or minidisco. So not sure...

Belecekiz - Olu Deniz - again, lots of great reviews. Again, not many British but I think we have to accept that if we go to Turkey.

Nissi Beach - Cyprus - wasn't going to add that one but it's niggling away in the back of my mind. Looks lovely but again I don't think there is much for children.

We are going in September. Can anyone help me? Anyone in the know about some or all (lucky you) of these hotels and can give me their very valued opinions.

Anyone who replies - you don't even know me so thank you for posting - I really, really appreciate your thoughts. Trying to book a holiday in 48 hours with four children running around me is driving me bats!!!!!! I think they quite like it - they are getting away with murder!!!!!

cheekeymonkey Fri 29-Jul-11 15:48:17

Belcekiz is excellent my review on TA (melons). If you manage to get availability for there (always booked even years in advance) you will not regret it. Good location next to beach, free dolmus down to lagoon which is gentle shallow water and sandy beach. Beach in front of Belcekiz is pebbly so sturdy beach shoes required.
Entertainment in hotel good and minidisco can be overlooked from restaurant if you haven't finished you meal.
This hotel is almost entirely British but not in a bad way IYSWIM?
Lykia world is a little out of town so you would have to get dolmus everywhere.
Food also very good for little ones in Belcekiz, first time back to Turkey after bad experience 20yrs ago and was very impressed.
Aside from Kids club there is a little play area with slides swings etc just outside hotel on beach front.
Hope you manage to get there smile

mumatron Fri 29-Jul-11 15:57:22

I love Cyprus. not been to nissi beach but have been to protaras a few times and am going back again next year.

onthemoveyetagain Fri 29-Jul-11 16:00:18

Thank you for your input. Sounds nice, did you hear anything good/bad about Lykia World? I have to admit, your hotel 'feels' like the better option for me and hubby. Think the Lykia World might be missing that pampering feel we have got used to on holiday. But, I suspect the children would not be at all impressed with me if they knew I had swapped the endless play areas of Lykia for a handful of swings shock

onthemoveyetagain Fri 29-Jul-11 16:02:14

Thanks mumatron! I went to Capo Bay years ago and loved it.

cheekeymonkey Fri 29-Jul-11 16:10:06

You have a point there. There was plenty to do for our 4 year old, but a lot easier to please 1 DC I guess?
Hope you all have fun smile

QOD Fri 29-Jul-11 16:24:31

Cyprus! (I too have been to Capa Bay!) - Lovely people, family friendly, clean, normal and beautiful
Olu Deniz .... hmmmmmm hotel - rank, food ranker, people - pretty horribly sexist (leering at my 16 yr old blonde niece and eye'ing my then 10yr old). Littlest niece came back with proper food poisoning of the "green frothy poo" variety. Health and Safety was horrendous too - no railings rounds shear drops in the hotel grounds - my DD fell backward into a marble stair well on arrival - 3 metres ... onto broken glass. Was possibly something that coloured my whole view of the country!

QOD Fri 29-Jul-11 16:25:58

oh and the calls to prayer over load speaker started very early .... and most of the men seemed to ignore it

onthemoveyetagain Fri 29-Jul-11 16:43:06

QOD - that sounds like a holiday to forget!!! I was told the hotels in Turkey have higher standards than Greece and Cyprus. Lots of five stars. Cheekeymonkey - I haven't ruled out that hotel - it still stands in my four to choose from. Only one eliminated now is Nissi Bay. QOD - I love Cyprus but when I looked at the reviews they were not that great and apparently a lot of children were really bored there. BUT - I do totally agree with you - that Cyprus is lovely and I know exactly where you are coming from by the word 'normal'. QOD - where did you stay in Turkey - sounds horrific. I have to admit the Delphin Palace does look to be of a good standard. Thanks for your help - this brainstorming is so valued and helpful!!

QOD Fri 29-Jul-11 18:35:25

I've blanked some of it out, we booked a modern 5 star (but their stars were different to normal stars) hotel but were re booked to this other one - I am trying to find it cos I can't recall the name

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g312737-d575283-Reviews-Dorian_Hotel-Oludeniz_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

That's the one!! We didn't book that one, and I have no idea which we did now - but it was truly dreadful!

cheekeymonkey Fri 29-Jul-11 18:45:08

To be fair that IS a terrible hotel and nothing like the belcekiz

onthemoveyetagain Fri 29-Jul-11 20:53:54

Oh QOD, that does not look so good!!! Hope you have had some good holiday memories since that one! Hey, why not try cheekeymonkey's recommendation and put some ghosts to rest. Just a thought grin.

Hubby came home tonight and said Sani Beach will be out as we will have to book our own flights (long story) and is probably one of those hotels you need to do with a package. He also thinks a hotel without a bath is not sounding so convincing (Lykia world). I have to admit I am bamboozled by this one - rave reviews and yet basic, basic rooms without any pampering and not even a bath!! Suspect the Belcekiz and the Delphin are winning the show.

Although hubby has now suggested going to Scottsdale in Arizona as it is our 10th wedding anniversary in October. Another new ball game. What is it about men - they throw in these suggestions and then sit back and wait for results!!!

cheekeymonkey Fri 29-Jul-11 23:01:39

Yeh, they do when they are not doing all the research. Mind you, at least they can complain if you don't get it right - no pressure! smile

QOD Sat 30-Jul-11 09:14:16

I just thought Cyprus was fabulous, the people, the way of living, the cleanliness, the warm sea......

I know a lot of people love Turkey, yes our hotel and the accident and food poisoning (and scars) were terrible, but the experiences with the men .... terrible. Was like it was in Tunisia back in 1996 - were I was assaulted in the market.... oh the memories angry

mumatron Sat 30-Jul-11 09:39:37

I love cyprus too qod We've tried other places but have never found anywhere we have enjoyed as much.

couldn't fault it.

onthemoveyetagain Sun 31-Jul-11 16:09:56

Oh well, thanks for your help. Think plans have changed yet again. Hubby can't get late September off so we have to go mid-October. Sooo....think it would be too cold in Turkey. Plan is now to go to Toronto for a few days (need to go there for other reasons) and then on to Scottsdale in Arizona (fab place we both love). Have never been there since the children were born so it will be interesting. We are also going to have a long weekend in Disneyland Paris so we can have a break sometime soon. Now that is a whole new ball game - have absolutely no idea where it even is, (obviously I know it is in Paris), and have never even heard of any hotel names. Will need to research that one. Have shelved all the hotel names in Turkey and Cyprus, Sani etc and have stored them away in my little red holiday book ready for next year. Thanks girls for all your help.

QOD Mon 01-Aug-11 17:55:27

New York Hotel in DIsney is better imho as lots of character visits at set times. Have stayed in the Sequoia and it's lovely

Nefret Mon 01-Aug-11 20:28:13

I know you have shelved your plans but I just wanted to say that Turkey is beautiful mid-october, lovely and warm and the sea is very warm that time of year too.

onthemoveyetagain Mon 01-Aug-11 20:36:32

Thank you for your thoughts. Will look at the Disney hotel and will definitely get to Turkey some time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now