loader

Talk

Advanced search

to ask those who have visited amsterdam

(31 Posts)
charliejosh Tue 26-Jul-11 15:00:05

where is best to stay?

lorelilee Tue 26-Jul-11 15:19:23

We used to stay at at the Atlanta Hotel in Rembrandtsplein, which is pretty central for everything The hotel wasn't particularly fancy, but there is a great Irish pub underneath it where you get a good breakfast. Have also stayed at the 'Botel', which is up nearer the Red Light District and funtional, but cheap.

VelvetSnow Tue 26-Jul-11 15:31:05

My DP is staying in the Botel next weekend, finds it comfortable and clean - not bad price either tbh.

We've also stayed at the IBIS on a few occasions, however the room you are given is a lottery, it could be a really nice room or one of the lower end grubby ones with really bad stained carpets, crap heating and no tv smile

The location of both is pretty central, giving access to everything - although Botel is cheaper.

kidsinamerica Tue 26-Jul-11 15:32:48

Start at Dam Square and work your way outwards - there are loads of reasonable/clean hotels in a 0.5km radius. This will place you slap bang in the middle for all the best there is on offer. Have Fun!!

AmyStake Tue 26-Jul-11 15:35:04

Vondelpark is a gorgeous area to stay in, not too near the city center but there's a tram right outside on Koninginneweg. Cheap it aint though.

If you wanna party, look for Leidesplein. Love that place.

CoffeeIsMyFriend Tue 26-Jul-11 15:38:26

When we went we stayed in a hotel near the airport, it had a bus (free) which ran into the centre and it was clean, etc. No idea about price as DH booked it and hadnt realised how far it was from city centre, but it was only a 10 min bus ride away.

PamBeesly Tue 26-Jul-11 15:44:32

Definitely a botel! Its just a different experience. Wow lucky you, such a cool city

VelvetSnow Tue 26-Jul-11 15:46:30

PamBeesly I love your name!

Then when I hovered over your name and saw "Dunder Mifflin this is Pam" I almost spat out my coffee!

Love Love Love the American Office!

<apologies for thread hijack>

AuntiePickleBottom Tue 26-Jul-11 15:51:50

I stayed in the Carlton president hotel. It was nice but needed to get a bus and train into the city. If you do go I would recommend the floating Chinese restaurant

charliejosh Tue 26-Jul-11 15:58:26

is it possible to just arrive and then find a room?

Thanks for all the replies!

Curiousmama Tue 26-Jul-11 16:02:34

Yes am sure it will be ok to arrive and find a room. I love it there envy Can't wait to go back.

tulpe Tue 26-Jul-11 16:02:59

The American Hotel is a lovely art deco hotel and well worth a visit. Call them for better rates.

Sarsaparilllla Tue 26-Jul-11 16:09:58

I stayed at the Winston the first time we went, that's really central, has it's own bar, not super posh but close to everything and we had a great time

And I've stayed on a boat once but it ended up being miles away from everywhere which was a bit of a pain, just make sure of the location before you book smile

PamBeesly Tue 26-Jul-11 16:21:20

Velvetsnow I know I love the Office soooo much I couldn't belive it when this name was free grin

Charliejosh I'm so jealous I'd love to be off to Amsterdam, I used to live a bit outside it and love the Netherlands

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Tue 26-Jul-11 16:50:32

It very much depends on your budget but, at this time of year, I would suggest you book in advance as there's nothing worse than wasting time trudging around a crowded city looking for accomodation in peak season.

Actually, there is something worse - booking into the first available place because your feet are aching and you're fed up with lugging stuff around only to discover later that a much nicer place (usually at a more favourable rate) is just yards away.

I second the American Hotel which is in a great location on the Leidesplein (ice-skating in winter) and has the most wonderful bar, but overall I prefer to stay on the Singel which is home to the flower market and some excellent Indonesian restaurants - the Estherea Hotel is my favourite and the Singel Hotel comes a close second.

The Agora is a recommended 2* hotel on the Singel but, depending how long you plan to stay, why not rent a houseboat? I can personally recommend B033 and B050 on this site, but there are also guestrooms and apartments to choose from:

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.houseboathotel.nl%2F&rct=j&q=hotel%20on%20canal%20amsterdam&ei=IdQuTqvGDJKAhQf41YU3&usg=AFQjCNEzxexFtEZ0UT-yn9LUG_AeCnNUfw&cad=rja

Esta3GG Tue 26-Jul-11 17:02:26

Personally I love the area around Vondelpark - some very nice (and funky) B&Bs around there.
Am very jealous - love The Dam.

Flowerista Tue 26-Jul-11 17:10:14

I stayed at the Golden Tulip (I kid you not!) and it was excellent.

RockinSockBunnies Tue 26-Jul-11 17:12:52

I stayed in the Hotel Pulitzer - most absolutely beautiful hotel I've ever stayed at. Brilliant location, stunning building and very luxurious.

LynetteScavo Tue 26-Jul-11 17:16:10

I t2nd the Pulitzer. I wouldn't say it's the most beautiful hotel ever, but it's certainly lovely and has brilliantly helpful and lovely staff. (I actually had a 3 story room, which was fab!)

QuincyMincemeat Tue 26-Jul-11 17:20:29

we stayed here right next to Vondelpark. lovely, cheap, but is a hostel.

suburbophobe Tue 26-Jul-11 17:24:00

Pulitzer's got a gorgeous courtyard for coffee etc., so has Krasnapolsky on the Dam square. (entrance in Damstraat, round the corner).

www.iamsterdam.com/

The latest tourist attraction starts at Schiphol airport:

www.floatingdutchman.nl/index.php?lang=en

hophophippidtyhop Tue 26-Jul-11 17:26:46

Make sure you go to the cafe at the top of the library!

CurrySpice Tue 26-Jul-11 17:29:49

This is where DP took me on my first trip to Holland

American Hotel

It's lovely, very central but not noisy. We had a turret room <swoony lovey dovey emoticon>

CurrySpice Tue 26-Jul-11 17:32:02

Oh I see I'm not the first to recommend it!

Have a great time - what do you plan to do?

suburbophobe Tue 26-Jul-11 17:36:49

www.hemp-hotel.com/

Never stayed at any of these hotels as I live here....

And no point in giving my friends' hotel name, as she just remarked today that they have to decline 60 reservation requests per day!

Do check out the reviews on Tripadvisor before booking anything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now