Talk

Advanced search

somewhere nice to stop overnight between Calais and Brittany

(13 Posts)
smallwhitecat Wed 20-Jul-11 15:16:52

Message withdrawn

chickflit Fri 22-Jul-11 08:08:02

I can't recommend anywhere nice to stay but Le Havre/Caen are probably about half way and there are loads of hotels around there.

However the journey from Calais to Brittany is doable in a day and I've done it several times myself with the DC's from when they were very small.

Have you looked at LD Lines this year, their ferries are coming up really cheaply, we've managed to get one for the August bank holiday Portsmouth to Le Havre for around £180 (that has been the most expensive this year) and they come into Le Havre and after that it's only a 4 hour drive into Southern Brittany.

smallwhitecat Fri 22-Jul-11 09:46:43

Message withdrawn

Lizcat Fri 22-Jul-11 13:47:39

Again in future I would recommend LD lines lots cheaper than Brittany. Honfleur is lovely we have stayed regularly at the Chambre de 'hote La coeur de St Catherine. I would also recommend the Au deux Ports restaurant which is just round the corner from the old port and treats our DD like a princess.
We stayed last weekend at the Laval Etap (does what it says on the tin clean, cheap, basic accomodation) we ate in the Village of Bonchamp des Laval where the etap is at the hotel on the main road can't remember the name, but full of French families with kids on a Saturday night and great value at 17euros for three courses on a ever changing blackboard and kids three courses 10euros.
You are going to be blatting on the way back so plenty of amusements for the kids.

MindtheGappp Fri 22-Jul-11 21:01:54

Do you want to do some sightseeing on your stopover? If so, Rouen is a great place. Other than that, one off motorway cheap hotel is the same as any other.

Hassled Fri 22-Jul-11 21:04:13

We had a nice night in a Rouen Novatel a couple of years ago. Rouen is good.

Just stay away from the Formula Un temptation. There's a reason they're cheap.

Portofino Sun 24-Jul-11 13:18:11

We spent last night in the Novotel at Rouen Sud. Lots of British families. They have a pool, decent playground, and the food was lovely with lots of choice on the Kids menu.

MindtheGappp Sun 24-Jul-11 14:14:25

I would imagine that the cost of a Novotel wipes out any savings of crossing via Calais instead of Cherbourg/Caen/St Malo.

Did you go into Rouen to do a bit of sightseeing?

Portofino Sun 24-Jul-11 19:46:59

You are probably right. No, we did no sightseeing. Drank (nice)wine, ate food, chatted to people in the bar, went to bed.

bigTillyMint Sun 24-Jul-11 19:52:42

Yes, definitely don't do Formule1.

We just tank it straight down to southern Brittany, which is my favourite and my bestsmile

If you are going to northern Brittany, it's even quicker!

MindtheGappp Sun 24-Jul-11 20:12:42

Rouen is a very pretty town. We were there last summer, killing time before our 11pm ferry from Caen.

We had a lovely lunch in a square next to a modern church (cathedral?). It was our most expensive lunch in 2 weeks in France. Then we took a walk down a major shopping street to the old Cathedral. Rouen is where Joan of Arc was put to the stake so a major historical centre.

I went there in 1975 when I was 10 and the only thing I remember is the pissoirs. Hopefully my children have a better recollection (although if you ask DS, it is where DD dropped his iPod).

orienteerer Mon 25-Jul-11 13:22:55

Bayeux is lovely, and much easier to drive through than Rouen!

makemineapinot Mon 01-Aug-11 20:33:55

Portofino grin I was... again... going to mention Novotel Rouen Sud - we must like the same places!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now