Talk

Advanced search

where to find last minute unique properties? Pollensa, corfu, croatia, elsewhere

(9 Posts)
SparkyUK Fri 15-Jul-11 10:27:49

This may be a bit tough given the last minute nature of this, but have finally been given go-ahead for a holiday. Have some flexibility but in the next month would be best which means I need to find and book something pronto for myself, DH and PIL, one of whom uses a wheelchair, though no excuslively. (She is okay with some stairs, but wouldn't want to have to go up 2 flights to get into an apartment.) We also have 2 DSs (2.6 and .5)

Had originally been thinking something in the UK like Cornwall or Wales but have been put off by long drives (we're in London). Was excited about Polensa based on reviews here and cheap flights available, but am now worried that it is just a series of resorts and new builds for tourists, which isn't really our thing (not knocking it though!).

We definitely want self-catering and definitely prefer cobbled and characterful to sleek and modern. Kids club things aren't important to us as the boys are still young. I just can't seem to find any websites for finding properties that aren't part of a big chain or resort complexes. Even venere.com which used to be all cheaper boutique accomodation seems to be going that way now. So I've checked vbro and will now scour ownersdirect - where else should I look?

And does anyone have any ideas for us?? We are really flexible, would love some sun and a bit of water, but need other things to do / see / absorb as well. We're all foodies (and winos) so that could even be the 'other thing to do'. Somewhere quiet is key too.

Sorry, I know I don't have a lot of firm details or guidance, but any advice would be appreciated. To think, I used to be a travel agent (job at uni). I would've hated a client like myself!

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 15-Jul-11 10:34:43

Algarve is lovely- especially the western end- try Lagos/ Luz if you like the cobbled street type town/ village.

Some smashing restaurants in both resorts. Lovely beaches too and very reliable warm weather with a bit of a breeze to take the edge of the heat.

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 15-Jul-11 10:38:14

Forgot to say we have used Holiday Lettings and Villa plus sites in the past.

Both have been good. The villa plus reps were particularly helpful we found when we got stuck in the volcano ash problem last year.

SparkyUK Fri 15-Jul-11 18:47:03

Thanks Bridgit. I think I'm actually looking for something that isn't run though a big company withtour operators and reps, and the like. Ho hum, the search goes on...

magentastardust Fri 15-Jul-11 20:04:51

For pollensa properties try villa parade online. Often have very good heavily discounted last minute weeks through summer. Small company but abta etc bonded so you have protection.
Pollensa-especially the old town lovely atmosphere and not built up at all.

tiredlady Fri 15-Jul-11 20:08:10

Have been to Pollensa 3 times. Really lovely, cobbled streets, old town, not at all built up.

Have been with Mallorcan Farmhouses and Meon Villas (don't know how to do links sorry)

myron Fri 15-Jul-11 21:29:26

[http://www.disabledaccessholidays.com/disabled/accessible-holidays/Majorca.asp This] is a good starting point. We stayed in a 2 bed apartment in Puerto Pollensa a few years ago and booked a last minute booking through this website (it had only a handful of properties back then).

myron Fri 15-Jul-11 21:30:04

Link

cookcleanerchaufferetc Sat 16-Jul-11 06:32:36

James villas are very good. Do not go with villa parade as some of their villas leave a lot to be desired, plus their customer service is poor. Check out trip advisor for scary stories! They are dreadful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now