Talk

Advanced search

Things to take self-catering to France

(12 Posts)
ExpectoPatronum Wed 13-Jul-11 13:09:07

I'm now counting down the days until DH and I take the DCs to Normandy for 2 weeks self catering.

This is the first time in about 6 years that we have been abroad and I have to admit I've got complete brainfade about things to take.

I don't mean obvious stuff like clothes, beach towels, swimsuits and so on, more useful additions.

So far my list says :

antibacterial handgel
teabags

What are your must-take items?
And what can I take as useful storecupboard meals for the evenings when we don't eat out?
DC are 5, 6 and 8 if that helps.

BooToYouToo Wed 13-Jul-11 15:01:32

I love a list me so I have one I use each holiday.

Things I have forgotten in the past are:

Chargers (camera/phones/toothbrush)
Calpol (also plasters if you don't have any in the car)
Flypaper (France seems over-run for some reason)
Wipes
Corkscrew
Knife sharpener (holiday lets always have blunt knives)
Deck of cards
Bathmat (even if towels are provided, bathmats may not be and the bathroom is often swimming in water)

I also tend to take a box of clingfilm, stock cubes, oil etc and food for 2 days as some supermarkets are shut in France on Sundays but you may prefer to shop when you get there.

My store cupboard basic is pesto and spaghetti.

jenpetronus Fri 15-Jul-11 10:51:24

Check with the owner of the cottage you are staying in what is already there - we have an inventory we send to all new guests - everything on BooToYouToo's (very thorough!) list is on it, except Calpol & a knife sharpener, we also put basics groceries in too & other stuff - there is no point dragging stuff with you if its already going to be there....

midnightexpress Fri 15-Jul-11 10:54:25

YY to bathmat. Definitely take one if it's not provided.

Don't worry about food. Apart from teabags, obv.

RamblingRosa Fri 15-Jul-11 10:55:48

Why the antibacterial hand gel?

I second taking chargers and adaptor plugs too.

And lots of entertainment. Check if the place you're staying in has a DVD player or CD player. You might want to take a few DVDs and CDs if it has as well as lots of books and games/toys for DCs.

I wouldn't take lots of food. You can buy pretty much everything you need in the local shops/supermarket. It will just be a pain lugging lots of stuff with you that you can get there.

ExpectoPatronum Fri 15-Jul-11 11:35:07

Thanks for all these. You see, I would never have thought of a bathmat! grin.

The hand gel was just because my DSes are grubby little articles, and I have nasty memories of the toilets in French autoroute service stations, so I thought it might come in handy for the drive on the French side.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeGoes Fri 15-Jul-11 11:40:49

Specifically English foods like Marmite and teabags if you need them, hard to find in France and outrageously expensive.

Are you driving? Have you got your GB sticker, warning triangle, headlight deflectors, hi-vis jackets (need one for each person and they must be kept in the car itself rather than the boot as you are not allowed to get out of the car on motorways without one on, apparently). If you go to Halfords, they have everything you need.

Bellie Fri 15-Jul-11 11:41:50

Just doing our list as we are off next week too!

Antibac gel on our list too for the same reason of service stations/loos.
Also learnt to take paracetamol,
fly paper
mozzie cream and bite cream (uk seem to be better than French brands)
Chargers/adaptors
spare batteries for camera (if not rechargable ones)
Glasses (wear contact lenses but one year got an eye infection and had forgotton glasses sad)
I always find a new game/toy for kids that they have not seen until somepoint in the holiday when it is clearly needed!
Corkscrew
Sharp knife
Picnic plates/cups (not all holiday homes have plastic ones for out and about)

will watch the thread for other ideas too!

LIZS Fri 15-Jul-11 15:44:30

Last year I made a list ! Small sharp knife , travel kettle (we had a coffee maker but no kettle !) , bin bags, teatowel, mayo/ketchup, tongs , slotted spoon , sieve , oven glove, wine bottle stopper (in case you don't finish it one evening), kitchen towel, loo roll, sugar, air freshener

Greenshadow Fri 15-Jul-11 16:20:33

Mugs - last couple of times we self catered in France, all they gave us were tiny coffee cups!

basingstoke Fri 15-Jul-11 16:22:06

I always take stuff for a curry. Including poppadums and chutney.

Highlander Tue 19-Jul-11 16:44:18

I have just been to a huge Tesco and bought this MN-approved French Self-Catering List wink.

Including the knife sharpener, cheap bath mat and the fly paper grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: