Talk

Advanced search

Child & Wheelchair Friendly - Help Please!

(2 Posts)
gabity Sun 10-Jul-11 16:25:01

Been to a couple of travel agents this morning, not as helpful as i'd hoped they would be! Can rely on you lot though!!

Not fussed where we go as long as there is sun, sea and sand. (as short a flight as possible for me though as hate flying).

Me, DH, Mum, Dad (in wheelchair) and DD who will be 2.

Going first week in June next year, only time we can all get hols from work at the same time.

Any suggestions? Or tips for dealing with wheelchair, Mum is pretty nervous about it all.

We were planning on going all inclusive but someone said a villa might be a better idea for wheelchair?

Budget of about 3k ish.

girlywhirly Mon 11-Jul-11 09:32:29

I'd suggest Puerto Pollensa, Mallorca. Short flight, 2hrs 15 mins from Luton airport. ideal for 2yo, lovely safe beach, and the resort itself is pretty flat so ideal for wheelchair users, I have seen lots of people cope very easily. You could book a ground floor apartment or rooms in a hotel, possibly on a B and B basis and self cater or eat out for lunch and dinner. Most hotels have their own websites with photos of the accomodation and facilities, so you could check out suitability for your Dad. Very good restaurants, wheelchair access not a problem if you eat outside, but toilet access may be difficult. PP has its' own website, puertopollensa.com which gives lots of information about the resort, set up by people who have been going there for years, hopefully they could advise about the best accomodation for wheelchair users. Very useful website, reviews on where to eat, town map, bus timetables to Pollensa village, things to do.

At airports you can organise special assistance, (when you know where and when you are flying from/to,)they will help you with check-in and through security, you get priority boarding on the plane, but are last to disembark. It will be worth booking seats in advance if you all want to sit together, rather than leaving it until check-in at the airport. You may need to get taxis from airport to resort instead of the usual coach. There is a very long walk at Palma airport, and they can provide buggy transport for less able passengers from plane to security/baggage reclaim on arrival. Or there are stretches of those flat escalators which you can simply stand on with the wheelchair.

We have been with Thomsons, they fly from pretty much every airport and frequently to Mallorca, so you will get a good choice of flight times to suit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now