Talk

Advanced search

SW France near Carcassonne?

(6 Posts)
Oneofthemaddingcrowd Tue 05-Jul-11 20:25:57

I've just booked a villa near Carcassonne for a week September, can't wait! DH is keen for a longer break this year though so am looking for somewhere to go for 3-4 nights before/after. We don't know the area at all though so any pointers would be welcome!

I'm looking for somewhere within 2hrs of Carcassone, with things to do for a 3 yr old. DH very into his wine so maybe some kind of wine region... although that is completely incompatible with DD's interests I know! Anyway, if anyone knows the area and has any favourite spots then please let me know.

JumpJockey Sat 09-Jul-11 09:26:54

Not sure about 3 yr old in general but last year I took dd to Sete which is on the coast, has a lovely beach which has a long long shallow bit, great for paddling and starting to swim. Not much shade tho so take a parasol! Also the cafes around the harbour are amazing for seafood and shockingly cheap if you like oysters, lobster etc smile Carcassonne itself is great fun, you can tell lots of stories about people in the castles.

Oneofthemaddingcrowd Tue 12-Jul-11 21:54:35

Thanks JumpJockey, sorry to disappear for a few days! Think we may try Sete. We had a lovely holiday pre-DD (15 years ago in fact!) nr Uzes so I quite like the idea of starting off there then driving down the coast to Carcassonne, stopping off a bit on the way. Have now got myself a guidebook but would appreciate any other personal recommendations!

Portofino Wed 13-Jul-11 08:54:26

Sete is lovely. Also Agde / Cap D'Agde. We're currently at Vias Plage just along the coast in a mobile home. The beach is lovely and there are lots of restaurants, a huge funfair, minigolf etc. I would also recommend Montpellier.

girlywhirly Wed 13-Jul-11 11:12:26

We visited Carcassonne this year, and visited one of the vineyards of Gerard Bertrand, l'Hospitalet a former hospice, now vineyard and maturing cellars and shop. Get DH to peruse the website www.gerard-bertrand.com for information. We went as part of a guided holiday, I presume you are driving? Not very exciting for DD but if you don't get to a vineyard his wines are easily available in Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsbury, M&S, etc. and they are good.

In Carcassonne, a bit shocked at medieval princess costumes at 60 euro! Just for dressing up!

I can recommend the Auberge de Dame Carcas in the Cite, friendly staff, full of pig pics and ornaments, good rustic food. The prix fixe menus are worth it. Within the Cite, all the roads are ancient cobbles with drainage ditches and steps, so don't bother with a buggy, saw too many people struggling (unless you have an all terrain) Oh, something I just remembered, there is a little 'train' for the tourists, and within the Cite you can have a short ride in a horse drawn cart which might appeal to DD.

revolutionscoop Sat 16-Jul-11 12:37:28

Argeles sur mer is beautiful, nice beaches, great for children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now