Talk

Advanced search

Arenal D'en Castell or Cala Galdana experiences...help me decide.

(9 Posts)
flippyfloppy Tue 28-Jun-11 15:58:16

Hi there, I would like to book our 2012 holiday soon to try and get a free child place. DD will be 4 and DS 18 months. Puerto Pollensa is our favourite holiday destination but we fancy a change and I think I have narrowed it down to these two resorts in Menorca! Resort wise what are people's experiences of these resorts, we would like pretty/safe beaches and authentic restaurants if possible, not too English? If anyone could recommend hotel/apartments that would cater for young children too that would be great! TIA

pinkbraces Tue 28-Jun-11 16:01:30

Arenal D'en Castell is horrible. I went there a few years ago with my DD, sister and DN. I really like Menorca but this resort is not nice.

flippyfloppy Tue 28-Jun-11 16:17:19

Oh no... really. I've read some good reviews on it, why was it horrible and is there anywhere you would recommend?

ImeldaM Tue 28-Jun-11 16:30:37

Cala Galdana lovely, the nicest resort on the island IMO, been to Menorca twice, don't know anything about Arenal except think north coast may be windier/sea rougher than south.

But, Arenal is near Fornells which is lovely & worth visiting so would be handy for that.

flippyfloppy Tue 28-Jun-11 16:32:25

Thanks Imelda, are there any Hotels/Apartments you would recommend?

Quenelle Tue 28-Jun-11 16:38:53

I stayed at the Hotel Audax in Cala Galdana in 2008.

This was pre-DS so I can't really comment from a parent's perspective. It was nice though. The buffet gets very samey after a day or so though.

The beach is lovely, very safe. It was closed for the last couple of days of our holiday due to a jellyfish invasion though.

The only downside was the lack of good restaurants. We didn't find anywhere that did especially good food, which made the evenings a bit of a letdown. Of course, a lot can have changed in 3 years, and perhaps we missed something.

ImeldaM Tue 28-Jun-11 16:41:33

Sorry should have said, didn't stay in Cala Galdana but visited & if we go back would like to stay there.

Just remember thinking that it seemed like a perfect resort, nice beach, lovely little bridge over river, restaurants/shops.

Galdana Gardens Apts look nice on tripadvisor

We were at Punta Prima in Punta Prima Playa apts, really nice location, small quiet resort & very close to Mahon for flights & trips.

Have a good holiday

princessfifi9 Tue 28-Jun-11 19:47:23

Hi. I went 3 years ago to Cala Galdana when my DD was 2 and we liked it so much we went again the next year when she was 3.

The beach at Cala Galdana is beautiful and sand good for children. However, the beach is quite small so can become busy.

We stayed at Confortel Annabel Hotel which is an aparthotel and had a 2 bedroom apartment both times. The accommodation was nice but it is at the top of a hill so if you don't like walking then this isn't for you.

Cala Galdana is great for kids, there are ducks to feed on the way to the beach and plenty of parks and swings. The restaurants are child friendly and lots have play equipment.

I would like to return as we had lovely holidays and is was ideal for my DD.

diabolo Fri 01-Jul-11 08:00:30

I'm not sure why pinkbraces thinks Arenal is horrible, its beach is very similar to Cala Galdana - horseshoe shaped, lovely and safe, gently sloping. Tell us why you dont like it?

I've stayed in Arenal several times - it is a bit too busy for me, there are some lovely restaurants, all types of food, a fair amount for kids to do etc etc. The Isla Paraiso is a good hotel with spacious rooms, I would stay away from the Aguamarina - it does resemble a prison! It is windier up on the North Coast than the South and they do have more jellyfish invasions up there.

Cala Galdana is beautiful, apart from the million other people sharing the beach with you during high season - not my cup of tea. I went once in the car and have never been back.

There are some good AI offers around for Son Bou and Punta Prima.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now