Talk

Advanced search

Need suggestions beach in under 2 hr flight from London- Spain?

(13 Posts)
lynn1 Mon 27-Jun-11 15:49:17

Hello, looking for a short flight from London to a sandy beach asap! Have one 3 yo dc and am traveling late in pregnancy,hence the short flight (I have the ok to travel from dr.) Was hoping for Majorca, but it's 2.5 hs and if I could find somewhere just as good with an even shorter flight that would be ideal. Anywhere you know of with child-friendly beach area? I'm not familiar w/Spain's coast or beaches at all.

CairyHunt Mon 27-Jun-11 15:49:57

nice cote d'azur - fab all along that coastline

Fimbo Mon 27-Jun-11 15:55:51

I think 2.5hr flight with a 3yr old and being pregnant is doable. What I find is the biggest drag is the distance of the resort from the airport especially on a coach transfer. You need something within about 20 mins imho.

Menorca is good for children and has lots of ace beaches.

lynn1 Mon 27-Jun-11 15:58:45

thanks. I've been to Nice w/out kids and love the area, but my experience was that all I saw rocky beaches. Do you know of any sandy ones?

Fimbo: I think you're spot on. it's the transfer that can make the entire trip feel like it lasts all day. I will check out Menorca. Have any specific rec's?

Selks Mon 27-Jun-11 16:02:48

Menorca is great for families. Just spend some time checking out the resorts online. Choose a hotel that is within easy walking distance of things like restaurants or shops or beach or whatever and job sorted.

lynn1 Mon 27-Jun-11 16:08:27

Thank you for the help. If anyone has any experience with Menorca resorts that you'd recommend, I'd appreciate it. I'll do some further research. My thinking was that Majorca has a number hospitals should that be needed in worst case emergency (just covering my bases due to pregnancy), whereas Menorca seems tiny, so maybe less so.

Selks Mon 27-Jun-11 16:15:39

I'd suggest the resort of Arenal d'en Castell on Menorca...but everyone is going to have their personal favourites.

I'm sure Menorca's health care will match that of Majorca even if it is smaller.

Fimbo Mon 27-Jun-11 16:17:54

Menorca has a maternity hospital from memory.

The best resort in Menorca imho is Cala Galdana. Avoid Calan'forcat at all costs. It is Blackpool in the sun.

Fimbo Mon 27-Jun-11 16:19:22

Santo Tomas is quite nice too, just one main street really with a pedestrian path running parallel, which has a few pieces of children's play equipment all the way along it. The path then runs parallel to the beach.

Can't remember how far they are from the airport though.

Fimbo Mon 27-Jun-11 16:21:18

hospital

lynn1 Mon 27-Jun-11 16:23:40

selks, fimbo: Lovely, thank you! Both the resorts you named are within a really close distance of the airport, which seems perfect. I appreciate your help.

Selks Mon 27-Jun-11 18:31:09

You're welcome; have a lovely holiday.

Selks Mon 27-Jun-11 18:32:40

oh by the way, you don't want to be TOO close to the airport as you'll get noise from aircraft....I made that mistake on Lanzarote.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now