Talk

Advanced search

Akbuk, Turkey

(5 Posts)
SharonGless Mon 13-Jun-11 22:19:54

Just wondering if anyone has been here and has feedback. Have DS 5 and DD 3 and have had offer of cheap appt through a friend in August. I had a bad experience in Turkey a few years ago but this comes highly recommended. There appears to be a lot of new apartments which have been built but it stills seems a quiet town

SharonGless Tue 14-Jun-11 09:55:33

Bump

Nefret Tue 14-Jun-11 11:04:55

Akbuk is between Bodrum and Kusadsi and looks very nice, although I haven't actully been there myself. It is a quiet place.

I love Turkey, I lived in Bodrum for a few years and we still go back every year for our holidays. I'm sure you will enjoy it if you go.

Balletlover Tue 14-Jun-11 20:50:08

Yes, I had a bad experience in Turkey once, but then came again, fell in love with the country and have a little holiday apartment around 30 mins drive from Akbuk. We always enjoy a day out to Akbuk 'though, it is lovely. Very quiet, no hassle. Lots of really cheap traditional cafes and restaurants along the front. Our favourite is Pizza Hatti which has swings and slides for the children. The front has lots of shady trees - a gorgeous place to chill.There is also always a breeze coming off the sea which you will need in August. Akbuk is a surprisingly large and strung out area of development 'though, so do ask if you are close to a dolmus (bus) route which will take you down to the beach/restaurants. The main beach is to the left of the harbour and there are smaller beaches dotted all along, but not necessarily good enough for sandcastle making. Ask about the pool at the complex if there is one too. Alternatively, having a car might make a lot of sense in the heat - even just for pottering locally with the aircon on. There's a company in Altinkum which does a deal where if you rent the car for 7 days, they give you a free transfer to Akbuk. They have just quoted a cousin of mine £22 a day (transfer from the airport is c. 1.5 hrs). If you don't hire a car, I would recommend www.incekar.com for private transfers - good prices, careful drivers, very reliable and free drinks. Out and about locally, there are day trips around the local bays from the harbour (they carry lifejackets for the little ones), and you might enjoy a trip to the local Aquapark (probably best on an organised tour). For gentle sightseeing there's the Temple of Apollo at Didyma (easy to get to, just take the Dolmus to Didim) and slightly further afield, but a simple drive, Miletus with its steps, tunnels and castle top (my boys love it) and majestic hilltop Priene. Lots of opportunities to walk in the footsteps of Alexander the Great, and Micheal Wood, plus a great pancake cafe close by. Should be lots to enjoy.

SharonGless Wed 15-Jun-11 08:07:23

Thanks for the feedback, especially Balletlover. Really helpful - just trying to find decent flights now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now