Talk

Advanced search

amsterdam...is it worth a day trip from netherlands holiday base? any tips on parking

(11 Posts)
bestbefore Sun 12-Jun-11 20:51:43

We're off to netherlands for a holiday in august and i am doing my planning now and wanted to find out any opinions on whether we should 'do' a day in amsterdam? Think we are about 1 hr away so fine to go. We have 2 DCs aged 8 and 6. We quite like the odd interesting museum or a wander...i've been before years ago but am not sure whether the chiildren would enjoy it?
Any tips on things or places the children will like in paricular??

Anyone have any insider or previous visit advice? Also anyone know anything re parking? Is there a park and ride?

Thanks smile

VinoEsmeralda Sun 12-Jun-11 20:58:13

We are planning to do the same thing. Am taking public transport into Amsterdam as driving is a sport on its own in A'dam plus parking can be tricky.

Our plan is to go to the Van Gogh Museum plus a picnic in the Vondelpark and then go on a canal cruise and then home time.

I used to live in Amsterdam many years ago and remember it as a friendly city.

My DC are 5 and 7 (or 6 and 7 by that time). Anne Frank House is another I would love to visit but think I'll wait till they are older and have had WWll at school

bestbefore Sun 12-Jun-11 21:21:17

Thanks v much....really useful. Will investigate train etc

Lizcat Mon 13-Jun-11 13:51:46

My DD 7 loved the Anne Frank House we had shown her the children's section on the website and discussed the Holocaust and Hitler with her. We visited in April and this term she had to do a presentation on a famous person and she used Anne - and won the prize for best presentation. Book on -line so you get timed entry and don't have to queue the house is open into the evening and after 6pm it is much quieter.
DD also loved Nemo the science museum and spent a very happy afternoon there, it leaves the london science museum standing for interaction.
She also really enjoyed riding the canal bus. We had the most fabulous 3 days in Amsterdam and would go again with DD.

bestbefore Wed 15-Jun-11 19:13:44

thanks Lizcat..great tips!

gardeningsarah Thu 16-Jun-11 12:54:21

We've been to Amsterdam a couple of times with DC's last time when they were 8 and 6. Definitely recommend Nemo science museum. We took the train to central station, then got around on the trams, which the boys loved. 2nd time we took the hydrofoil in as we were staying in Ijmuiden, 45 mins along the river - highlight of the holiday! We also did a trip around the canals. We booked tickets at the Tourist Info Centre which is very close to central station. You can book timed tickets for alot of the museums there as well, but it is quite busy there so we had wait awhile before being served. We did do Anne Frank's house, but I don't think the children fully appreciated it. We also visited a diamond factory where they take round and at the end try and flog you some very nice diamond rings!! unfortunately could afford to buy.

gardeningsarah Thu 16-Jun-11 12:56:21

should have read, couldn't afford to buy!!!

tulpe Fri 17-Jun-11 13:57:42

Tun Fun is a great place to take the children when the weather is bad. Our DCs have loved it. It is more popular with locals than tourists.

There is also the Rijks museum, van Gogh museum, and the Kinder kook kafe (literally "Children Cook Cafe") looks interesting but we have never been there. If you need any help translating the site just let me know - I couldn't find an english version smile

this is an excellent site to use for info - have attached a link to the above cafe here too.

bestbefore Mon 20-Jun-11 18:35:46

brill....some more tips!
I have looked into trains and I think it is 1hr 6 mins from Appledorm (nr where we are staying) so that looks pretty good. And I think kids pay c2.50E for unlimited travel...does that sound right Netherlands dwellers? Am going to have a session with the guidebook, map and this thread very soon to do some planning! Thanks

3Questionmarks Thu 23-Jun-11 18:20:59

Dutch trains are great and cheap, 24 hour tram tickets are a bargain and worth it to cover a bit more ground and avoid whingey LOs. Definitely do a Canal Boat tour, good even if the weather is a bit off. Vondelpark and immediate area is lovely. There are some brilliant bookshops and cafes in the Spui area, which is central but away from full-on commercial centre. Have a wander near the floating flower market and the Nine Streets, if you like quirky shops.

It's a bit expensive to eat these days though - mainly a Euro issue rather than specifically Amsterdam. Seemed to drop min £30 every time we stopped for a snack/coffee with 3 of us confused

Decorhate Tue 28-Jun-11 07:08:17

We did this at half term - had a day in Amsterdam whilst staying elsewhere in The Netherlands. We opted to drive - they have a good park & ride scheme whereby you park on the outskirts & get a tram or metro in to the centre. It is a very compact city - we walked from the main station to Vondelpark quite easily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now