Talk

Advanced search

Egypt / Nile cruise

(6 Posts)
Blackcoffeeandcigarettes Sun 12-Jun-11 18:21:05

i would love to go! And dh and I have some spare cash so we may go end of June. I would love to do a Nile cruise but after it all kicking off there and surrounding areas not so long I'm a bit nervous, would you go?
The other option is one of the resorts. I've never been on an all inclusive and they are so cheap! I would love to see the real Egypt though. Anyone have any recommendations for me?

P.s dh and I havnt been abroad in 5 years! So want it to be nice. Have £1,000- £1,500 budget

I think the thing about a Nile cruise is that you would actually be quite well insulated from potential problems. The Egyptian authorities seemed very clued up about protecting tourist sites when dh and I did a nile cruise for my 40th.

I would do it again in a heartbeat - we loved it, and saw some amazing sights. It is hard on the feet, as you walk round so many temples, but the guides are very knowlegeable and you forget minor aching feet listening to them.

One thing you need to know - and that is the egyptian for 'No thankyou' - "La Shokran" - you will use it all the time as every tourist site has lots of merchants trying to sell you stuff. You'll even need it at baggage reclaim - there are men standing inside the curve of the baggage belt and when they see you spot your case, they grab it for you (helpfully?) and expect a tip from you for taking it off the belt!

Also you have to buy sheets of loo rolls from a lady at the door of the loos at tourist sites (I knew about this ahead of time, and took lots of packs of tissues to put in my handbag, so I could avoid this).

When we came back, there was no weighing of luggage - we had packed carefully, and were pretty sure that, despite buying a 2 foot tall Anubis statue, we were still within our allowances - but at Luxor airport the baggage scales were just somewhere for bags to be put whilst transfering them to the baggage handling side - we saw two lots of bags on there together!!

I would definitely recommend the nile cruise - and in June it will be beautifully hot - so choose a boat with a plunge pool on the top deck.

Blackcoffeeandcigarettes Sun 12-Jun-11 19:49:57

Thank you for your advice. I think we will give it a go! Any advice on what not to miss?! X

If you can afford the extra trip up to Abu Simbel, that would be the one I wouldn't miss - it is amazing in its scope and design - awe-inspiring. Dh also went on a visit to a local mosque, where they had peppermint tea, and then a walk round the market in the town - I didn't go because I had a sore ankle, and I was really sorry I missed it.;

SixtyFootDoll Sun 12-Jun-11 20:00:53

We stayed in an all inclusive hotel in hurghada, from there we were able to do a day trip Luxor and valley of the kings which was a amazing.

Our hotel was beautiful and so clean. The staff there were lovely, but hurghada resort was awful and we were pawed and pestered.

I would love to do a cruise and see more of ancient Egypt.
You will be pestered at all the tourist places. You just have to ignore, ignore. It feels very unbritish.

Shoshe Sun 12-Jun-11 20:16:31

We went Christmas 2009. it was the best holiday we have ever had, went with African Safri, but they have gone bust I belive, stayed on the Florette, very very basic, but food was great and service outstanding. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now