Talk

Advanced search

Where's nice, warm but not too far for October Half Term?

(13 Posts)
TheHouseofMirth Sat 11-Jun-11 21:37:22

We've never been away in October before and we don't know where to go. We'd like to go somewhere with virtually guaranteed sunshine but not a ridiculously long flight.

Although we are partial to a bit of lounging about on a beach or by a pool we also like to explore the country we're visiting so don't want to go anywhere purely resort-y. I wondered about Cyprus but don't know much about it.

Any suggestions?

Lolly75 Sat 11-Jun-11 22:04:18

canary islands are supposed to be warm and sunny pretty much all year around I think!

fivegomadindorset Sat 11-Jun-11 22:05:24

Eilat in Israel.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 11-Jun-11 22:08:14

Guranteed sunshine at that time of year? Best bet would be Egypt, Sharm el Sheike. 5/6 hour flight?

I went to Tenerife in Oct once and it was cloudy the whole time and drizzled quite a bit. Far too cold to go in the pool or sea. Now I'm sure its probably unusual and normally warmer than that, etc but I'm just saying it can definetly happen.

Greenshadow Sun 12-Jun-11 15:31:46

We also found Tenerife to be a bit mixed in Oct Half Term.

Some days were absolutely marvelous, but a couple were pretty cold with some rain.

superdollyfragilistic Sun 12-Jun-11 15:34:06

Cyprus is lovely then, the sea is so warm as it has had all summer to heat up. Not too crowded then either.
I have been in the sea as late as early November and it was heaven

TheHouseofMirth Sun 12-Jun-11 15:48:47

For some reason I really don't fancy the Canaries and we've been to Eqypt before. After briefly toying with a longer flight to somewhere like the Caribbean I think we've decided Cyprus would be a good choice.

superdolly where would you recommend that won't make us feel we're in Southend on a very sunny day?

MoreBeta Sun 12-Jun-11 15:55:13

Malta. Its where we are going in October. Far too hot in summer but nice in Autumn.

superdollyfragilistic Sun 12-Jun-11 16:17:33

Hi, I go to Protaras, but not the main Fig tree bay and "The Strip", as I find it too touristy. I go to Ayia Triada which is between Pernera and Kapparis. Walking distance of lovely small beaches, local tavernas etc.
I like Pernera too, it has a fabulous restaurant right on the beach with Cypriot food, lovely views and good service, it's called Kalamies.
Should you want a big golden sand beach then Makronissos in Ayia Napa iis gorgeous. Don't beleive everything you read about Ayia Napa, some of it is lovely!

I go a lot as I have a house in Ayia Triada, so I can give you lots of advice, but the TripAdvisor forum is very useful for specific hotels/b&bs .

There is the Brits abroad thing there in spades, but you really don't have to be in those bits if its not for you, s, however to get the best of it and to go to the less trashy bits a car is necessary, I can pm you a good company which gives my guests discount, at that time of year you can probably get one for 120 euros for the week.

TheHouseofMirth Sun 12-Jun-11 16:36:35

MoreBeta I thought it could get quite rainy there towards the end of October?

MoreBeta Sun 12-Jun-11 16:44:57

It can be stormy and gets huge dumps of rain in short bursts but still hot by UK standards and lots of dry days.

superdollyfragilistic Tue 14-Jun-11 12:31:59

So where did you decide to go in the end?

TheHouseofMirth Tue 14-Jun-11 22:27:51

Have become side-tracked by the more urgent need to organise DS1's birthday party! But after your advice and looking at Trip Advisor I think Pernera and Protaras sound most likely.

Now need to decide if we want a hotel or villa. Who do you normally fly with * superdollyfragilistic*?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now