Talk

Advanced search

Day trip to Boulogne with 2yo and 4yo. Good idea or madness?

(5 Posts)
MegBusset Thu 09-Jun-11 18:13:14

Will be staying with GPs who live near Dover in the summer. DC (4 and 2) have never been abroad (or on a boat at all) so thinking of popping over to Boulognr for a day trip, but are they too little? Is it explorable on foot without having to walk miles? Where's good to run about outside? What if it rains?? And does the ferry even go direct to Boulogne. And have I left it too late to get passports??

overthemill Thu 09-Jun-11 18:25:09

totally brilliant idea to go to France with your dcs but think it'll have to be via calais. If you take the car tho you can drive down to boulogne in a round half an hour (easy, look for signs). Boulogne castle is fabulous and so is the old town and you can park outside the old town easily. Also thoroughly recommend you take kids to nasicaa which is ust about the best aquarium we have ever been to (and been to loads). You can often print out discount vouchers.

so castle, nausicaa and then either the beach to run around or wander around teh town (french markets are in the morning tho) and you can either eat out, everywhere is child friendly ust avoid smoky cafes and go off teh main street cos its cheaper, good places in old town, and get a bag of chips with mayo from the van outside nasicaa!

ooh want to go....we've been with all three dcs at various times and once went with 3 month old, 3 yr old and 6 yr old. really not a difficult trip

overthemill Thu 09-Jun-11 18:26:21

if you want to go on foot, calais is nice too, let me know and i can make suggestions if you like.

pass ports take 2 weeks if you do them via post office checking service

Portofino Thu 09-Jun-11 18:55:26

Boulogne is great for a day out (Dover born me) but the ferries don't go there any more (I don't think). If you take the car, it's about 30 mins from Calais. Otherwise, On foot, you can get the bus into Calais from the terminal. There is a lovely sandy beach, lots of places to have lunch - though nothing else specifically child friendly.

Lots to do near Dover though - the castle, Wingham Bird Park, Howletts Zoo...

Blu Thu 09-Jun-11 19:03:42

Passports are expensive, but you should be able to get them within 2 weeks of posting off the form - allow a month, perhaps?

Boulogne is a v easy short drive from Calais and v well signposted. Nausicaa, the massive aquarium is v well signposted. There are some lovely seaside places on the coast inbetween - the beach at Wissant, or Wimereaux, and old fashioned resort. Nausicaa is very well worth visiting, perfect for 2 and 4 year olds. They have sharks, a sealion display, lots of hands-on sections.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now