Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a quietish family friendly beach resort on Algarve?

(15 Posts)
freebster Mon 06-Jun-11 20:09:50

We are thinking of booking a week away at end of August in the Algarve. Seen some accomodation in various resorts but not sure where would be best for us. 2 DDs age 5 and 2, would like a lovely beach, family friendly eating out etc and not too lively. Any recommendations gratefully received thankyou!

dreamingofsun Tue 07-Jun-11 08:57:19

we liked mia prai - sure i've spealt this wrong, near lagos. we were near the nature reserve and the beach down this end was pretty quiet considering it was school hols

freebster Tue 07-Jun-11 13:27:27

Thankyou, I think that's one of the places we've looked at.

Ruthiebabes Tue 07-Jun-11 17:00:48

Lagos is lovely, check out beach at Praia Dona Ana.. stunning.

Further west is Praia da Luz, a small resort with a great beach and some shops/restaurants. This is where Maddie was taken though, so may not appeal.

We love the Algarve.

dreamingofsun Tue 07-Jun-11 20:06:16

ruth - have you been to eastern algarve? if so how did you find it and which resorts did you like best?

MaryBS Tue 07-Jun-11 20:16:04

Monte Gordo used to be quiet, I don't know if it still is. The beach is lovely there.

Ruthiebabes Tue 07-Jun-11 22:08:02

dreaming of sun, we have only gone to Western Algarve. Have done some research on the East as have considered it.. Tavira and Cabanas look good.

herbietea Tue 07-Jun-11 22:11:31

Message withdrawn

dreamingofsun Wed 08-Jun-11 08:35:40

herb - thats good to hear, as we were thinking about going there. it does sound nice on paper. did you stay in tavira or cabanas?

overthemill Wed 08-Jun-11 08:40:50

tavira is fabulous, been there 3 or 4 times i really really love it. first went while backpacking and ended up just staying there. if you want to book your own break the tourist office is really helpful. i also recommend the good train service. please eat lots of custard tarts grin

dreamingofsun Wed 08-Jun-11 08:58:02

overthemill - so would you book tavira rather than cabanas as on paper they both look nice? And is so can i ask why? I'm guessing that in tavira you have access to trains but not in cabanas - so you'd need a hire car there?

overthemill Wed 08-Jun-11 09:17:39

yes i would because of the transport issue - if you fly to faro and use train to tavira you could, i think, get away without car hire. you walk/bus from the centre (very pretty) and get boat to beach. assuming you have buggy still (?) it is manageable i think. from tavira you can use local bus to cabanas and other lovely places.
if you go with operator of course you get coach to resort but i'd go independently. and honestly think you won't want to leave tavira once you get there.

<<off to easyjet website>>

dreamingofsun Wed 08-Jun-11 10:36:30

thanks overthemill - our next holiday destination is now sorted.

overthemill Wed 08-Jun-11 11:23:35

the beach is called ille de tavira i think - it is a long sandy spit that you get boat too (lovely) but take note that the far end is naturist. there s also a campsite there and reasonable beach cafe etc

Blu Thu 09-Jun-11 19:06:14

Burgau
Salema
Small villages right on the beach. But on good bus routes to bigger resorts such as Luz or Lagos.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: