Talk

Advanced search

Somewhere Warm/Hot In October

(18 Posts)
kisschase Mon 06-Jun-11 16:44:08

This is my first post in Shorthaul, so apologies if this has been done to death, but I wondered if anyone could recommend a good place to go that will still be warm at the beginning of October?
It has to be shorthaul & sunbathing weather, but other than that I am open to all suggestions.
TIA

Kiwinyc Mon 06-Jun-11 17:12:48

Canaries, Madeira, Malta and Cyprus should still be hot.

I've holiday in the last week of Sept in Corsica also and it was still perfect in the day and cooled down in the evenings (needed a cardigan thats all). But it was starting to have that 'end of season' feel to it, so I'd go to places that are reliably warm for a bit long, like the ones i suggested.

Nefret Mon 06-Jun-11 17:57:40

Turkey is lovely in October.

MightyAphrodite Mon 06-Jun-11 17:58:48

We're still swimming mid-November in Greece.

thestringcheeseincident Mon 06-Jun-11 17:59:25

I think we're going to Abu dhabi. Is that too far? Lovely and hot then

castlesintheair Mon 06-Jun-11 18:00:34

Greece is wonderful at that time. The sea is warm and the crowds have left.

KristinaM Mon 06-Jun-11 18:01:46

We were in turkey in late September last year and it was freezing. I was wearing trousers and two cardigans in the day.guests who had had the intelligence to bring jackets were wearing them

Certainly not sunbathing weather. Too cold to go in the sea or the pool. I had to hire a wetsuit to go windsurfing

kisschase Mon 06-Jun-11 18:15:42

Thank you all for coming back smile
I was thinking Greece/Cyprus might be the best way to go - I've seen a lovely hotel in Lindos, Rhodes - so thank you all x

MightyAphrodite Mon 06-Jun-11 18:21:15

Greece has had an 'unseasonal' spring (cloudy, wet, and mild, as opposed to warm). I'm wondering if we're going to get a more autumnal autumn this year too. Cyprus might be a safer bet.

MightyAphrodite Mon 06-Jun-11 18:22:24

Not that Cyprus isn't Greece, of course hmm

castlesintheair Mon 06-Jun-11 18:30:27

Rhodes is meant to get the most sun in Greece so a good option. Lindos is lovely.

MightyAphrodite, we "enjoyed" some of that unseasonal Spring in April. It was ***ing freezing and wet for a few days!

MightyAphrodite Mon 06-Jun-11 18:59:36

blush This has been the most spring-like spring we've had in the 20something years I've been here. We're in the south and it's usually baking by early May. So far this year, we're still sleeping with blankets (fairly light, but still blankets!)

Kiwinyc Tue 07-Jun-11 10:28:09

I have some friends that came home early from Turkey in (mid-late) Oct, it was too cold! With Greece be careful not to get caught by any sort of end-of-season time when everything shuts down.

To avoid this i would really head further south, or further east. Egypt, Israel, Jordon, Middle East will all be nice if you're prepared to travel a bit further.

NoWayNoHow Tue 07-Jun-11 10:34:15

I would personally go a little further south than Greece/Turkey, just to be sure.

The Canaries have fantastic weather all year round, and it's still proper sunbathing weather at the beginning of October.4 hour flight too, so not far. I'm afraid I'm a total Canary Island snob, though, so I'd only go to Lanzarote, and probably only to the resorts of Playa Blanca and maybe Puerto del Carmen.

Depending on how many people you're going with you can pick up some good deals on villas with private pools (anything from £400 for a 2 bed place for a week).

Good luck looking!

Nefret Tue 07-Jun-11 12:11:56

I have been to both Greece and Turkey in October and it hs been lovely, especially the beginning of october. I used to live in Turkey and I was swimming in the sea and the pools all through october, there would still be people swimming in the sea in November, a bit too chilly for me then but it was still nice. We are going back to Turkey this October half term.

kisschase Tue 07-Jun-11 13:34:32

Thank you all again - my OH saw a nice hotel in Hurghada (I think that's Egypyt) which looked lovey and by all accounts it should be still in 30s in October - so we are broadening our search but will def check out the canaries.

fivegomadindorset Tue 07-Jun-11 13:36:53

Israel, specifically Eilat

kisschase Tue 07-Jun-11 13:52:31

Egypt obviously blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now