Talk

Advanced search

Rome / Florence / Amalfi Coast

(9 Posts)
smilesandsun Tue 31-May-11 21:51:26

Hello,

Looking for some help to get me going. Am having a few days away with just DH as a treat and really want to go to Amalfi Coast but having never been to Italy was wondering if someone had some advice on if I should do Rome and Florence or do the Amalfi Coast? We'll have just 3 days so its not a long break but want to make the most of it, good food, wine nice relaxing time.

Any comments most welcome!

Thanks

charitygirl Tue 31-May-11 21:58:34

There's not much 'culture' on the amalfi coast (tho I'd always recommend kicking off with a few days in Naples) whereas Rome or Florence are cultural experiences of a lifetime (Rome is my choice - truly incredible in every way).

BUT - I love the amalfi coast, dated and overpriced as it is. I'd recommend a smaller village for accomm such as Praiano or Ravello with day trips into the big tourist draws like Amalfi or Positano. Although if you're going without kids the bigger places can be fun in the eve (NOT chic tho!)

charitygirl Tue 31-May-11 22:02:05

Oh - 3 days will get eaten up on amalfi coast, because you have to get a ferry from Naples or drive for quite a while on tricky roads to get there. Wigh three days I'd choose Rome. Stay in Trastavere for the full on romantic Rome experience!

smilesandsun Tue 31-May-11 22:14:28

thanks yes I was worried about the travel time eating too much into the relaxing time. Perhaps I should leave the coast for when we have a longer time, and I've never been to Rome and would also love to go there.

charitygirl Tue 31-May-11 22:29:24

You'll LOVE it! You'll become an Italy addict...

crispyseaweed Thu 09-Jun-11 14:55:35

Went to Amalfi last summer....very very hot. Naples not much cop really.
Rome I hear is fantastic, and Florence beautiful.(been 1x)
On the other hand Venice (been 3x) is amazingly unique and very special and also very hot in summer...

AliceAirhead Thu 09-Jun-11 15:16:33

Just got back from 10 days in Italy doing Rome and Amalfi Coast. Did Tuscany (inc Florence and Siena) last year. If I had just 3 days I think I'd spend them in Florence or Rome - compact but so beautiful and so much to see and do. Not that much to do in Amalfi (very touristy) - we did boat/bus up and down coast + day in Pompei (awesome). Agree that Venice (previous visit) is staggeringly beautiful too.

You can't really go wrong anywhere in Italy - it's all wonderful and the food is one gastronmic orgasm after another...!

AliceAirhead Thu 09-Jun-11 15:18:39

just want to add for Amalfi lovers - yes I know ther's much more to it than that (lots of pretty towns, lovely islands etc etc (just trying to be brief!

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 11-Jun-11 23:02:21

If you've only got three days, Rome AND Florence surely too much?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now