Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone been to Estonia? What is it like in October?

(3 Posts)
upahill Mon 23-May-11 11:40:39

I'm still humming and harring over where to go in he half term break n October.

I'm thinking of Estonia. I like Eastern European countires but not been here yet.

Any thoughts? I was thinking of backpacking, using hostels and will have a 15 year old a 12 year old and possibly a DH with me

sparklyrainbow Sun 29-May-11 21:40:19

We went to Estonia in 2009. Enjoyed most of it, we did a 'Highlights of Estonia' tour booked through a company (Regent I think). Tallinn, lots to see and the Old Town is lovely. Tartu is a university town and was nice. Parnu small seaside type resort. Don't go near Narva (Russian border town, we got up extra early to catch first bus to escape!).

People friendly, really good English spoken. We travelled around between cities by bus (cheap and reliable) and stayed in hotels... some interesting ideas of 3 * though! Try to get to the islands e.g. Saarema (sp?), we didn't sad

No idea what the weather would be like in October, we went in August, was pleasantly warm though we did have a day of really wet weather when it was quite cold and miserable.

riksti Sun 29-May-11 22:10:53

Hmmmm.... october might not be the best time. It's difficult to say with weather but usually second half of October is when Estonia gets its first snow of the year. Therefore quite cold and wet. If that doesn't bother you and you're not planning to visit the islands then it would probably be OK.

I'm Estonian, by the way, so might not be quite impartial in giving my opinions of the country smile I'd say it's probably a bit more expensive than some of the other Eastern European countries although you can find good deals if you know where to look.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: