Talk

Advanced search

Bruges or antwerp with two under fives

(13 Posts)
k75 Sun 22-May-11 13:01:37

planning a few days, appreciate tips on where to stay and what to do. Thank you.

Bunbaker Sun 22-May-11 13:06:49

Bruges is beautiful. We went before DD was born and walked around the town, visited churches, historic buildingfs and art galleries, took a boat trip on the canal and had a tour around the brewery. Personally I wouldn't take small children to Bruges because they would get bored and their little legs would get tired. I have never been to Antwerp though.

frenchfancy Mon 23-May-11 06:45:07

Antwerp is beautiful. Lovely city with lots to do.

IMO bruges is nice for a day trip, but no longer, there is nothing much to do.

How are you traveling? Could you do both?

mummytime Mon 23-May-11 06:53:37

There is a fab playground in Antwerp at the other side of the tunnel under the river. My kids loved it. They also liked the Aquarium (not fab but interesting), I think we also did the small Zoo in the town. Another highlight was travelling by tram.
We also spent a day in Bruge, but I think its a more grown up place.

Portofino Mon 23-May-11 08:59:01

I would stay on the coast - De Haan maybe - and do a day trip to Bruges. There are loads of things to do for kids, gorgeous sandy beaches and you can rent bikes and go carts to pedal up and down the prom. There is a coastal tram that links all the resorts so it is easy to travel about.

Website

Bonsoir Mon 23-May-11 09:01:29

Antwerp is lovely.

belgo Mon 23-May-11 09:03:06

Agree with Portofino.

One day in Antwerp is fine but it is a very busy city and I don't find it fun going there with small children. There is an interesting city zoo very close to the train station.

Bunbaker Mon 23-May-11 20:59:42

"there is nothing much to do."

How can you say that shock. There is loads to see and do in Bruges - far more than can be done in a day. Perhaps you don't enjoy history and culture?

k75 Mon 23-May-11 21:10:37

Thanks...any good hotel or apt recommendations? We are driving.

Portofino Mon 23-May-11 21:18:29

There IS loads to do in Bruges Bunbaker, but maybe not for toddlers....<<remembers exciting brewery visits>>

I would go for Sunparks De Haan - though think they have been taken over by Center Parcs. Otherwise try www.booking.com and pick a top recommendation.

Bunbaker Tue 24-May-11 07:03:22

"There IS loads to do in Bruges Bunbaker, but maybe not for toddlers."

Yes, I agree. I think they would get bored and tired. There is loads to do if you are an adult and enjoy looking around beautiful, historic cities, but it isn't really geared towards small children.

rosy71 Sat 28-May-11 22:08:41

We stayed on the coast and just spent a day in Bruges. Ds1 was 2.5 at the time. He enjoyed the horse and carriage ride around the city, and would have probably liked a canal boat trip, but we didn't have time to fit it in. There wasn't much else for young children though. We went around an art gallery whilst he slept in his oushchair.

MaryBS Sat 28-May-11 22:11:07

We went to Bruges in winter, with 2 children aged 2 and 4. The Christmas market was lovely, as are the chocolate shops and cafes, and there was a wonderful ice sculpture exhibition. We found that everywhere was walkable, even for little legs!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: