Talk

Advanced search

Fornells, Menorca, Paphos, Cyprus or Kalkan, Turkey... Please help!

(22 Posts)
lulupeg Sat 14-May-11 23:07:37

I've been driving myself mental trying to book a late summer hol for me, DH and DS aged almost one when we go....

Have now found nice accomm in all the above and can't pick!

Do we go quiet and picturesque in Menorca?
Busier but lots to do in Paphos? (possibly slightly nicer accomm here)
Or get more all round bang for our buck in Kalkan?
Flights same price ish for all (ie pricey!)

As our baby is very laid back we can afford to think mainly about what we need this (one last) time as he'll be happy splashing, playing and generally being nosey and adored by locals!!!

Would love any advice from people who've visited any of the above with babies.... Ours is pretty mobile btw and sure he'll be walking by July.

Thank you thank you!!

lulupeg Sat 14-May-11 23:08:53

Oh and we have usual aversion to British bars, post a level
Celebrations and kiss me quick type stuff! And hoping to hire a car too smile

follyfoot Sat 14-May-11 23:10:45

Not been to Turkey, but I'd go for Menorca. Very child friendly, shorter flight and would it be a wee bit cooler than the others in July? I wasnt mad on Paphos - backed by a hugely busy main road, whereas Menorca was just a bit more peaceful.

lulupeg Sat 14-May-11 23:45:40

Good point about the temperature, I had been thinking how hot Cyprus would be...

Thank you for posting ! Have you been to Fornells area in Menorca at all?

follyfoot Sat 14-May-11 23:48:03

Only for lunch one day whilst we were pottering round the island - think its considered quite posh, isnt it where the king of Spain goes sometimes? We went to Es Castell, that was lovely.

chopchopbusybusy Sat 14-May-11 23:52:23

Hiring a car in Cyprus or minorca would be fine, but I wouldn't hire a car in Turkey.

Lisatheonewhoeatsdrytoast Sat 14-May-11 23:57:06

I go to Menorca, first went for my honeymoon when DS was 9 months, its fab and family friendly, we went there last yr too and will be again in sept. We went to Cyprus/paphos in Oct for a wedding and we were in a 4* hotel, i wasn't impressed to be honest, its extremely busy, with busy roads, and alot like home with its fast food outlets etc?! confused

laughalot Sun 15-May-11 06:50:05

Turkey is lovely we have been for the past 3 years

lulupeg Sun 15-May-11 12:33:08

Thanks for all the replies.

Lisa - that's what I feared re Paphos...

Whereabouts have you been in Turkey Laughalot? Was it peaceful?

Thank you!

Lisatheonewhoeatsdrytoast Sun 15-May-11 13:51:20

Must also add everywhere i've been in Menorca is relatively quite, and the resorts are great, i stay in Calan Bosch and it's lovely!

laughalot Mon 16-May-11 09:55:48

I have been to altinkum, gumbet and lara beach if you would like it quiet look in the antalya region lots of lovely places there. Menorca is lovely aswell have been there to.

Nefret Mon 16-May-11 12:28:30

I have been to Fornells but a long time ago, it was very quiet and peaceful, not much of a beach if I remember rightly though.

I do love Turkey though and would love to visit Kalkan one day, it looks beautiful

Balletlover Mon 16-May-11 16:41:52

I only know about Kalkan as my parents have an apartment there on the patara prince resort. Many apartments and villas there to choose from. There is also a babysitting service (charge) and a nursery/creche with somewhat erratic hours. Certainly a few children to play with and a lovely children's pool with slide. Very quiet resort, even in the height of season and definitely not Britpack. The beaches near Kalkan aren't quite so great for very little ones. Town beach is pebbly, Kaputus is lovely but a hike down steps and Patara Beach is prone to wind and sand flying up. I bought elsewhere in Turkey (Maveshir, turkish holiday area near Altinkum) as we've found it absolutely perfect for both us and the children (lots of historic sites to suit both, shallow waters with sandy beaches and turkish prices for food as opposed to tourist prices. Driving near Kalkan is mountainous and can be a bit tricky according to my parents, driving on the Aegean coast is very empty and much easier as the terrain is flatter. However both areas have great dolmus services, so you could easily get around even without a car. Akbuk is also lovely for children and offers the same touring potential for yourselves and has great, cheap restaurants. Just depends what you are looking for (and do put yourself first). Not much half or AI in Kalkan - people come for the restaurants and they are pricey. Well, what do I mean by pricey - well, I suppose it is UK restaurant prices. I really like being able to have a complete meal and delicious meal for under £5 a head, so even though I self cater, I rarely do, if you see what I mean. Anyway, good luck with your search. Hope you find the ideal holiday.

diabolo Tue 17-May-11 17:07:03

I'd pick Menorca, but I seem to have become obsessed with it lately. Fornells is a fishing village, very beautiful, lovely restaurants, but no beach. Playa des Fornells is a couple of km away from it and has a beach. Very quiet and mostly private rentals.

Very hot in July though, but maybe not as hot as Turkey / Cyprus.

diabolo Tue 17-May-11 17:08:23

I also went to an amazing village in Turkey a few years ago, called Turunc (on the Marmaris peninsula, but SO not like Marmaris). High mountains, great beach, really small and very friendly.

lulupeg Sat 21-May-11 09:28:45

Thank you SO much for all your lovely detailed replies, hope this thread helps others as well as me smile happy holidays!

Lizzylou Sat 21-May-11 09:32:33

Diabolo, we stayed nr Icmeler a few weeks ago and went to Turunc for the day, it is indeed gorgeous and so much quieter.

We found that the Turkish people adored children, our youngest came home thinking he was a Mini-God grin but yes, Menorca has a slight breeze and will be a more comfortable heat for you all I'd say.

Nefret Sat 21-May-11 14:17:24

I have been to Turunc too, very nice, although that huge mountain you drive over to get there was a bit scary!

diabolo Sun 22-May-11 19:05:33

Lizzylou & Nefret - I have NEVER been so scared as I was in the mini bus taking us there - clinging to the side of a single track mountain road with an insane driver taking every bend at 80mph.

The resort was a co-operative I think, and each and every person we met was lovely. We used to go for lunch in a bar near the beach, just after the lunchtime call to prayer, and the whole place would be deserted of staff for 10 minutes, then they all came back and gave us such excellent service and food. Such nice men.

I will definitely go back there when my DS is older.

givemeaclue Fri 03-Jun-11 09:46:13

Menorca - lovely, great for kids, nice beaches but I don't know the fornells area specifically - like other poster we stayed near el castell - also near the capital of the island, lots of babies out late etc

Kalkan in turkey - lovely place I really like Kalkan, pretty little town but there is no beach there, there is one at patara but it tends to be quite windy

Paphos - we didn't like, built up, unattractive (although our hotel was nice and there are a lot of nice hotels there, the resort itself is not great in my opinion)

so of the three, I would recommend Menorca although don't know the specific resort you are mentioning.

we have hired cars in turkey lots of times, never had a problem although signposting is pretty poor.

have you decided now where to go?

have a great time wherever you end up!

balia Fri 03-Jun-11 19:40:07

Menorca for me - so peaceful and friendly, hardly any built up areas and even the cities are picturesque and laid back. Fornells is beautiful - a fishing village with chic, and it is very sheltered from the wind that can be quite strong - but no beach would be the drawback for me. Playa de Fornells is about 5 minutes drive and is lovely, though.

kat2504 Tue 07-Jun-11 19:00:56

I lived in Cyprus for a few years and I wouldn't personally want to spend an entire week in Paphos. The resort isn't that great and unless you hire a car and drive to the countryside, there's not a massive amount to do. Also it will be ridiculously hot in July. There are some nice things to do in Cyprus, but I wouldn't recommend Paphos as it is quite built up and lacks any sort of charm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now