Talk

Advanced search

La Baule, France - any recomendations?

(9 Posts)
Aliway Sat 08-Jan-11 09:52:16

Am looking at going there for 2 weeks in July with my dh, ds 3.5 and ds 1.5. Is it a nice place for a family holiday with a few things to do other than just the beach ie zoo, interesting villages etc... Am open to ideas to other places Brittany/Vendee/Loire. Thanks in advance.

Bonsoir Sat 08-Jan-11 09:58:39

Ile de Ré is so much nicer than La Baule!

dreamingofsun Sat 08-Jan-11 18:12:04

south brittany is lovely, much nicer than vendee - more like cornwall without the crowds and better weather. has lots of old really interesting towns.

vendee is ok, but beaches are longer and more bland, and towns are just loads of bungalows so no character

jenpet Sat 08-Jan-11 18:36:45

I live and rent a gite in Southern Brittany, near to Vannes. You're very welcome to ask away if you want to know more about this area, I'm a bit biased obv! Although other people seem to like it as we're booked up until October & have enquiries for 2012 hmm

Aliway Sun 09-Jan-11 23:21:26

thanks so much everyone for very helpful posts

Aliway Sun 09-Jan-11 23:26:25

Will definitely look into southern Brittany, last years holiday was in the Depths of the Dordogne and although beautiful, was a little isolated and we spent considerable amounts of time in the car going to visit some very beautiful spots, we want to be more beach based and child focused as when they are having a good time so are we!
jenpet- would be very interested to hear about Vannes
Sorry about the late posting -sleeping all day following a night shift!

treacletart Sun 09-Jan-11 23:30:34

The Brittany Tourism website has been revamped recently and could help inspire you

frenchfancy Mon 10-Jan-11 06:49:13

I agree the Il de Ré is much nicer than la Baule, though it can be crowded in the summer as the French love it there. The Vendee is not all bungalows, that is more towards the north. The South Vendee is much nicer, lovely old towns, beautiful beaches and less crowded than the north.

Il de Ré is a nice day out from the South Vendee, as is La Rochelle. There's lots to do in the forrest at Mervent including a Zoo, a high ropes place, canoeing.

GoAwaySnow Wed 12-Jan-11 12:38:18

I have previously recommended before but I'le D'Oleron is very similar to I'le de Re but less crowded and less expensive! Happy to answer any questions that I can.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: