Talk

Advanced search

Dubrovnik-anyone been?

(9 Posts)
ghoulsforgodot Fri 05-Nov-10 22:43:48

Would you recommend it? Thinking about going for 4-5 days next year.

TheNextMrsDepp Fri 05-Nov-10 22:44:54

Yeah, lovely place (it was a while ago, though).

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 05-Nov-10 22:57:32

It's lovely - but very, very hot. We went in May, and the temperature every day was 30+.

Food is really lovely, and all focuses on local cuisine. No McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks - and not even any Chinese/Indian restaurants. So refreshing to be somewhere that celebrates its own history/culture in terms of food!

It's expensive - they have made a deliberate decision to avoid the cheap tourist market, so no hen/stag parties. (But lots of cruise ship tourists).

Take cash as well as credit cards - not everywhere takes credit cards. We were sitting in a lovely restaurant, and had to leave because their electronic payment had failed and so they were only taking cash.

We stayed here , which was absolutely beautiful.

There are no hotels in the old town, although the Hilton is right outside the walls. But I would probably avoid that, as I would imagine it would be really noisy, especially in high season.

girlylala0807 Fri 05-Nov-10 22:58:51

I used to be a holiday rep in Croatia and it gets a big thumbs up from me!

It is stunning.

ghoulsforgodot Sat 06-Nov-10 13:44:15

Yes, you are all definitely selling it to me! Thanks for that! Off to check out your link now!

AbsofCroissant Tue 09-Nov-10 12:17:22

Yes - highly recommend. Went in May as well, and the weather was lovely. Did a five day Croatia trip, and also went to Split (which I preferred, as it wasn't so touristy) and one of the islands.

One of the failings is that it is so touristy - the hotels weren't as good/reasonable (we stayed somewhere more fabulous and cheaper in Split), but the city itself is stunning.

twinsgashead Wed 17-Nov-10 22:04:22

Yes - went with our 4 year old boys a year or 2 ago. We spent a week at a family hotel in Cavtat about 20 mins away up the coast and a week at a hired apartment in Dubrovnik centre. The hotels in Dubrovnik are quite out of the centre so this meant we got the city bit and the beachy bit out of one holiday. Its a good city for a week or so - our 2 loved the ice cream shops and the city walls and the city beach is actually really clean and lovely and we did a few trips to the islands. Would thoroughly recommend even with kids.

puffling Wed 08-Dec-10 23:55:17

yes - stay on an island off the coast. Much more fun making day trips to the city instead of the other way round.

muttimalzwei Mon 03-Jan-11 22:56:24

I would recommend the islands Korcula, Hvar more than a long stay at Dubrovnik, which is stunning but a bit sterile and lacking any real atmosphere due to the World Heritage status. Really don't think it's worth more than a couple of days, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now