English middle-aged, middle classes - wife swapping?

(13 Posts)
LittleMissEngineer Sat 11-Apr-20 21:09:44

... is it a thing?

Sorry, may be a naive question or a stupid question.... but is it widespread?

Was chatting (at a considerable distance) to a couple of neighbours today and it came up. Very jovial. Brought up, laughed about, topic of conversation moved on...

Mentioned it to my husband when cooking dinner and he said “they are ALWAYS on about wife swapping!”. And he is correct. I remember a couple of times it was mentioned. He remembers more on top.

Reminds me of over hearing my parents (as a young adult), talking about other people - would have been middle aged, middle class at the time - in the village “wife swapping”.

Beginning to wonder if it is thing (and has been for a while).

OP’s posts: |
rwalker Sun 12-Apr-20 07:48:26

Defiantly one colleague at work 58 and very very straight laced type of person . His parents in there 80's confessed only a couple of years ago that his dad was not his real father ,and his dads best friend is and they used to swap and do 3 some's with him .

xpc316e Sun 12-Apr-20 12:38:35

I am sure that the internet has brought about huge changes in the way we access the more unusual side of human nature, but it used to go on in the olden days in much the same way a it now does.

It is a fact that every generation thinks it is the one that invented sex, but it obviously is not true.

Just be grateful that we no longer have to plant Pampas Grass in the front garden.

Namechangedyorkshire Sun 12-Apr-20 16:56:16

I'm not sure it is a "thing". Clearly some do it but I'm not sure it is widespread. I had an experience when a lot younger with an ex and another couple but was on holiday...not something I continued and made a habit of

PhilCornwall1 Sun 12-Apr-20 20:34:32

I'm 99.9% positive the couple that lived in the house opposite us were swingers. Live and let live I say, if they enjoyed it, good luck to them.

Now where did I put my pampas grass 🤔

Thelittleweasel Sat 18-Apr-20 18:15:11

Ah yes the pampas grass - in the vicar's garden!

I've never quite worked out how it all works. Fine if Mrs A fancies Mr B but what if Mrs B does not fancy Mr A [and so on]

@LittleMissEngineer

LittleMissEngineer Sat 18-Apr-20 19:41:00

I wonder if that is the thing? Are people who swap partners really attracted to the other person?

I think that I am just not the wife swapping type. This sounds very cliche, but the thing that most attracts me to a man is his mind and I can probably enjoy them intellectually without going down the sex route (which is probably better for my marriage).

OP’s posts: |

Advertisement

Namechangedyorkshire Sun 19-Apr-20 06:56:14

@LittleMissEngineer . I think these are two different things. Wife swapping is something ongoing and some see as a bit of a lifestyle. There are others such as myself that have had a sexual experience (when younger!) although not sure I would class it as swapping...we were all in the same room ..two couples and on holiday.

Yes I did find their other guy attractive..and yes I guess my then bf did find the other lady attractive as she was very pretty and had larger boobs which I know he liked...but I think to a certain extent it probably didn't matter as it was a bit of a wild experience on holiday etc.....

I think swapping as an ongoing thing is a lifestyle and not sure whether women feel as comfortable about it as men, but unless you live that life who can really be authoritative about it!

PinotPony Mon 20-Apr-20 23:14:38

Yes, it's a thing. wink
There's a huge swinging community in the UK and not all middle aged and middle class either.

LovesNettles Mon 20-Apr-20 23:24:39

Huge scene.

ordinaryman Wed 22-Apr-20 16:24:02

I'd never heard about the pampas grass thing!

*looks nervously out at the front garden to see what other inadvertent signs might be being sent by the daffodils, acacia tree, holly bush etc....*

ABlackRussian Fri 01-May-20 14:56:56

I think it's a thing that happens across the board. I hear that the lower class, non-english love a good orgy/wife-swap, too..

wantmorenow Wed 06-May-20 18:07:20

Ahhh. Swinging. Pre-covid days. ☹️

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in