LAM Method- is it safe

(8 Posts)
Smudge612 Tue 27-Nov-18 14:33:40

Currently EBF my 15 week old, don't want to go back on the pill yet, how effective is/have you found, the breastfeeding so won't get pregnant thing?? wink

OP’s posts: |
Lonecatwithkitten Tue 27-Nov-18 22:48:10

My Mums one piece advise to me when I found out I was pregnant was 'Don't believe that rubbish about breastfeeding being contraception it is the reason you gave a sister 13 months younger than you.'

PallasAthene Tue 27-Nov-18 22:49:32

A quick google suggests that's a myth, unfortunately.

Put a condom on it until you go back on the pill.

pudding21 Thu 29-Nov-18 10:18:52

Noooo its not safe! I have several friends who got pregnant whilst breastfeeding, one has only 11 months between her two youngest!

Lughofthelongarm Fri 30-Nov-18 16:53:38

My grandma had three children under 3. She breastfed. ( taps nose)

TheOnlyTruePirate Sat 01-Dec-18 00:12:27

I believe that for a reasonable level of effectiveness there are some fairly strict criteria along the lines of feeding on demand at least every 2-3 hours day and night, not using any bottles (also possibly dummies too...?) And definitely no supplementary food. So essentially once your baby starts to sleep longer stretches at night (i.e. around three years old in my case but I am reliably informed earlier on occasion...) and/or is not breastfeed
entirely on demand / starts the weanimg process things get risky(ier). Plus individual variation too... in spite of day and night two hourly feeders x3 my periods always came back at around 4 months. I don't THINK that I was ovulating at first but obviously can't be sure. Must admit I chanced it once or twice in the first couple of months last time around but I do know people who have been caught out the same way... essentially very much at your own risk!

AnastasiaS Sat 01-Dec-18 00:28:40

Definitely not reliable and the main reason I only have a 15 month gap between my two DC. wink

Advertisement

subspace Sun 23-Dec-18 00:09:10

My friend was given a strict contraception lesson after her birth and warned that you can be very fertile just after, so no.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in